Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my bass solo!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I put it up at mp3.com ...but they are ..ahem..anyway, I have to wait TWO WEEKS until they will host the solo.

Anyway. It's not a solo per say...seeing as I didn't play any fretted notes.

I used:

1. Harmony bass
    2. Johnson amp
    3. Dunlop 105q wah
    4. Sound Forge + SONAR

Anyway, here's a sample, until they get the real version up.

Waddya think? I blared it last night..scared my cat. :D

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What is there to say about that clip...?

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I, personally, wouldnt call it a bass solo.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

!!!!!!!!!!! :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh:

[speechless!]

5. Nice bass vacuum cleaner solo:meh: Why?

Fetch

6. You're ready for the next bass-off.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
  8. Yeah, I said that already. In all honesty, I didn't sit down at my computer and say 'okay lets do this'

I was recording myself playing something else, when my foot accidently hit my wah, and it freaked me out for a second, and my fingernail scratched the string. I thought it sounded pretty awesome, so I did some wah with scratching the string for a minute or so just for fun.

Then I thought it'd be cool to tinker with it in Cakewalk, so I gave it a shot, and I think it sounds pretty cool.

Again, I would never call it a bass solo. If anything, an intro to some type of song. :D

Like Call of Ktulu, Orion, and Damage Inc, if you will.

9. But this thread is called "Check out my bass solo!"

10. Yeah I didn't know what to say. "Check out my bass...thing!"

Besides..'solo' attracts more views :D

11. I still can't get over the fact that most people (this is up at AB and 2 other forums, as well) who reply don't know what to say. :D

Anyway, if somebody wants to try it for themselves (you can't screw it up, I mean, I did it :D), here's what you do:

1. Scratch your bass strings with your fingernails or a pick. Pick is louder than fingernails. Glide your pick/fingernails along different strings...do some fast..do some slow and hard..try fretting a note and scratching the string to change the pitch, too. It's pretty cool stuff.

Now when you do this, preferrably use some sort of FX. I used my wah pedal, for instance.

2. Uh, make sure you record step 1 :D

3. Import it into SoundForge, or something similar, where you can add effects, change EQ, add volume swells, etc., so a recorded sample.

It's really trial and error on this step. I did so many different combinations and ended up only using about..4 effects for the whole thing.

Wah
    Echo
    Volume Swells
    EQ (well not an effect, but ya know)

If you add effects..play it..and you don't like it, just hit ctrl +z to undo the effect.

4. Encode to mp3

voila

Took me an hour and a half altogether. Then again I made it up as I went along. It could be done in 30 minutes or less, now that I know what I'm doing.

ch33rz :bassist:

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ugh. I am a "Space/Noise" bassist myself, and this is.....I don't know.....I'll refrain from putting it down. Uh...very.

something.

Wait, Your last post said no one knows what to say....

CRAP, CRAP IN A HAT, A BIG DUMP, POO POO, POOP, DOOKIE, DOOKIE-RAMA, CRUD, CRUD-O-LA, TURD A RIFIC!!!

;) :D

13. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    wow.....you must be some sort of child prodigy.

:meh:

14. Bruce Lindfield

For once I'm with Polly :eek:

They can't find sufficient words to describe how "lame" this idea is and to actually post it in a forum as well.......where's the "incredulous" smiley??!! ;)

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What I don't get, Garrett, is what sort of reaction you were looking for? :meh:

You've given us about 15 seconds of basically, sound effects. What were you looking for? "Yeah man, way out bass solo!!"?

16. Bruce Lindfield

Based on this are you going to revise your opinion in the GI forum that he is is really trying to understand music theory??!! :rolleyes:

If I was marking on theory I would be looking for minus figures! ;)

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well I actually thought it was quite a nice noise. I kinda dig sound effects. Nice work Garrett.

Although I have to agree that it's actually a solo at all.

My only criticism is that the recording is appaling... a squillion effects(?), amp(?), budget recording device(?) and mp3 conversion(?) probably equates to the vacuum cleaner effect someone commented on above.

I spent serveal hours making noises like that as sound effects for a home movie some friends are making... I used: bass > distortion > qtron > chorus > delay - I ended up with some awesome, very vocal sounding effects that are genuinley really unpleasant :)

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Here it is AGAIN "For once!" always, never more than once!

You would probably agree with me more if I had not put those smilies there to save my butt!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.