Check out my bass sound!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Oct 29, 2004.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Damned nice! Doesn't sound as smooth as the average J slap sound, but I dig! Rock on! :bassist:
  2. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I like the composition/playing.... :cool: ....but the bass sounds like a $100 fender squire to me. :eyebrow: :p :D
  3. Well I put in some $100 EMG active pickups. That explains something about the sound. :)

Can you name any famous slappers who play on a P-bass? It seems like everyone slaps on J-basses.
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I really don't think it sounds that bad. I'd like to hear how it sounds in a full band, recorded live and without any studio trickery, though, then we'll talk. :D

If you ever feel bored out of your mind, geoffkhan, why not record the same tune again with a pricier bass and let us compare? That would be cool.
  5. Um... studio trickery? All I did is put the bass through a little reverb on the high frequencies and a touch of compressor. It's direct-in, too, so it doesn't sound as good as when it's going out of my amp live.

If I had a pricier bass I'd be using that instead, but alas, this is my only bass.
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    See, that's studio trickery for me. Perhaps I'm just biased against passive cheapish basses, I was never happy with the way my old Epiphone P/J bass cut through live. I slapped on it, too, and I thought it sounded pretty good.
  7. I find my bass always sounds a lot better live. By adding effects (EQ, compressor, reverb) I'm attempting to imitate the sound I get live.
  8. I can get that same kinda tone out of the p pickup (soloed) on my Ibanez GSR200. I don't know if I accidently screwed up the wiring when I put the pickup back in (don't ask) or what, but I can get a growly slap tone out of it - Almost as much as I can with the J (soloed)
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not bad, sounds a little uneven/harsh at times, but other than that i liked it.
  10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    That's pretty rare these days, but it was more common a few decades back.

Loius Johnson played one, as did Will Lee. I've seen Vail Johnson play one here and there more recently as well.

The old Patrice Rushen tune "Forget me Nots" is a good slapped P-Bass tune. I think it's underrated and rarely mentioned Freddie Washington on bass.

I like the clip, myself. Nice work.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Firstly, the bass work is good. Great job on that. As for the sound, yeah, you can tell it's a cheap bass [not that that's a bad thing] but it sounds pretty decent. It also sounds like you have heavy gauge strings on it and the action sounds like it's high. [if I'm wrong, just shoot me!] I've no experience with P pups so I can't comment on playing or slapping on a P instrument. So maybe that's the way P's sound! I dunno. Don't mind me, I'm just rambling. The bass playing is good though. Imagine what you'll sound like on a better instrument.
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Very nice. I've got a Squier PJ that get a lot more play than many of my basses.
  13. Yeah, I use the heaviest string gauges because they last a lot longer. Actually, my action is the very lowest it can go (before some notes are toneless buzzes), which is why there's some buzz noises and it's really percussive sounding. I figure since my main concentration in bass is slapping, why not set up the bass for that?

I've played on some pretty expensive basses, but to tell the truth, once I got in the EMG pickups, I like my bass a lot better than those supposedly higher-quality basses.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear ya. I own a Tobias and an original Ibanez SR505 [circa 1996] and Fender basses but guess what gets played at most of my gigs? A Brice Douglas 5 string from Rondo Music. I do want to change the pickups on her though but she sounds pretty damn good and I get compliments all the time. I do have Elixer light gauge strings on her. I always say though if a bass is made decently, a good setup and some good strings along with playing skills make a real difference. Hey, even Jaco's bass, although a Fender, was a real piece of crap and was truly abused but he made that thing sing!
  15. The deal is, the best bass is the one that's going to make you sound and play the best on. I try more expensive basses, but I play the best on mine. It's not just because I'm used to my bass.

I'm primarily a keyboardist, so I'll explain it from that viewpoint. Whenever I play on a grand piano that I really like and sounds good, I can play things that I am unable to play on worse pianos.

Ever experience that?
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh yeah, I agree. I learned to play on a cheap Univox bass and played that thing for many years and it wasn't until I bought my first 'pro' bass did my skills jump immensly. It was like, whoa where did that come from. It opened up a whole new world for me.
  17. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Mate, what an awesome piece. I really like the p-bass slap sound (less so the fingerstyle sound) and usually have my jazz bass back pickup on low. Very impressive playing, sir. I think the bass sounds great, really old skool. Personally I think it would loose character if played on a hi-fi bass.

Cheers mate
  18. Great! I dig the sound very much! It is raw and that's what is missing from much music these days...that gutteral rawness that just oozes with FEELING!

Great playing, too! Just very excuse me...I have to listen to it again. :)
  19. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So do you play blues guitar too?