Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my custom fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Awhile ago I started on building a neck-through fretless 5 string. I designed the body and kind of ripped off the headstock design from one I liked. I've done all the body and neck carving myself so far. This is just a mock-up of what it will look like, there's still some carving, routing, glueing etc. to do. The neck is maple and walnut laminates, the body is walnut on alder, ebony fretboard, gotoh tuners, no-name allparts bridge and knobs, and seymour duncan basslines. I will post soundclips when it is finished.

2. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    What tool(s) did you use to cut out the body with? Where'd ya get the wood at? The design looks killer BTW. Your avatar is great too :D

3. wow, cool body. you'll have to keep us updated on how it turns out!
    Charlie

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think you have got the headstock on backwards :D

[​IMG]

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yep, sure looks like the headstock or tuners are on backwards. Also, there doesn't seem to be any taper to the neck. It should be much narrower at the headstock end.

jd

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "This is just a mock-up of what it will look like, there's still some carving, routing, glueing etc. to do".

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    EXCELLECT!!!

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    That wooshing sound is the joke going over your head :D :cool:

(Insert appropriate amusing image that you would expect to see in OT here)

9. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The neck is tapered but the fretboard is not cut so sitting on top you can't see the taper. For the body I used a four-in-one metal file and on the neck I'm using a bigger two sided file with a rasp side and a finer side. My dad knows two luthiers who we've been getting help from and one of them works at a furniture place and he's got lots of wood at his disposal and I was fortunate enough to have all the wood given to me, except the fretboard which I got from stewmac. Too bad I still have to pay for parts. Even so, my dad gets a deal from allparts and seymour duncan so this bass won't put me very far past 300 if even that :eek: . More pictures are being developed and I'll keep you guys up to date.