Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my drum n bass-ish fretless recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nadav, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I spent a few hours this afternoon making this one minute. It's mostly played on my SX fretless 62, with the exception of the slap part which was done on my Ibanez BTB406.
    I've had the melody for this one in my head for a while, and I'd like to eventually turn it into a proper instrumental, so any sort of feedback is appreciated.

http://nadav.name/bass/FretlessSong.mp3

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The bass is WAY too high in the mix. Offensively high, even for a bass player. Some minor intonation quirks, nothing to get too hung up over. The slap part is better than the fretless part imo. You should blend the two together some more maybe? I dunno. It's a pretty simple track, fun and simple. I like those farty synths that appear halfway thru.

I wouldn't really call this drum n bass though, the loop is pretty bland, drum and bass is all about complicated, driving drums. cheers though. I checked it out :)

3. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah... wow. I didn't notice the bass was so high until I listened to it with headphones. I've replaced it with a (hopefully) better version. This one sounds a little low actually, but I'm too lazy to fix it again...
    I think I'll be recording this with a banjo player this weekend. :cool:

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I heard some off-notes there, the double stops weren't 100% hit, but I know how hard it is to slide a chord down while maintaining intonation.

Like WR said, I think the slap is better than the fretless, and it needs more drums! Strange patterns! Snare-rattles! (how did you make those btw?)

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    cool