Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my home-made pickgaurd for my MM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewis7789, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Hi guys. I have a Marcus Miller Fender jazz but never was a big fan of pickgaurds. Most of us don't play with a pick any way? So I decided to remove the stock black ones and make a clear one at work. It looked cool, but would buzz like crazy...
    So I ordered the red tortoise shell pickgaurd blank and foil tape from Stewart McDonland for $50. I cut it out with a jig saw, beveled the edges with a belt sander, counter sunk the screw holes with my Dremel and drilled the holes with a drill press. About two hours work and $50 later, I think it looks pretty good!

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice work! Definitely gives your instrument an idiosyncratic look.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    looks a bit funny, could be the perspective, how did you angle it relative to side of the pickup?

4. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun

5. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Now that I'm looking at it, it is a little bit at an angle. I think it looks worse in the pics than it does close up in real life. But thanks for pointing that out. Looks like I'll have to do a little more work...