1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my home recordings

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by blipndub, Sep 22, 2008.

1. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Hello,

I didn't dig the way the drums sound. They are too thin. they sound like they are in a room with the mics not directly on the set, so all that really comes through are the highs. There isn't much body. Now that might be the sound you're going for, and if it is, then cool. But that's my opinion. I usually don't listen to the genre of music you do either, so that might render my opinions invalid. I generally liked the sound otherwise. Raw'ish, and rather nice.

2. Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I've always been concerned about the drums taking up too much space, maybe i should expand them some.
    Thank you for the input.

3. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    Sounds good man..

Parts of the track with no vocals reminds me of a Replacements song.. I just can't think of which one.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Drums are way too low in the mix for the sparse drumming style. They probably sound alright when soloed but the bass and guitar are burying what little tone there is. If you used more than one mic to record the kit, start looking for phase problems in the drum tracks. The kick is really weak. If you are only using one mic on the kick, take it out of the hole in the reso head and try micing the reso head itself. Consider spending some time tuning the drums before you record. The snare especially could stand to be tuned down, or ideally replaced with something deeper. Recording them at some point in the day when your drummer can actually hit them without being afraid of waking up the people sleeping in the next room might be to your benefit.

It sounds like the bass player had way too much input on these mixes.

Guitar and bass are fighting for frequency space here (when the bass isn't stepping on everything). Either have the guitarist adjust his parts so that you're not both overlapping each others octaves or start playing with EQing. Remember that if it sounds great in the mix, it will probably not sound all that great soloed.

5. Thanks ever so much for the input. i really appreciate new ears and experience on these tracks.

6. Not bad. What do you use to record with?

7. I boosted up the drums in the mix and employed additional separation, I like the results.

Everything was recording in my garage with Cakewalk Home Studio (the cheap version of Sonar). Guitars are generally miced and bass is usually direct in to the board or through a Toneport preamp using the preamp models. Drums are mostly midi via the session drummer utility in Cakewalk. I've thought about re-amping the drums for a more natural feel but I don't know how good a source sound I could get with my setup and volume limitations.

Thanks for continuing listening and input.

Link to songs

8. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Hello,

I am listening to "Now is not forever"
    - The bass drum sounds too shallow and low, unless thats how you want it.
    - The drum in general from 0:09 to 0:39 sounds too low also. Also in the parts when the song slows down
    - Maybe add some reverb to the drums, will bring it alive a little bit more.
    - The solo guitar sounds cool
    - There is no bass, that will add a whole lot of punch

Overall the music is really good

9. Link to Songs

Okay, thanks for that. I fussed with the drums a bit and brought up the bass, backed off on some bass compression and brought down the guitar a little. What do you think now?

Lesson: drums are a big ol pain.

10. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Yeah I think is getting better:
    - Maybe add a little more reverb in the drums, to make it sound like if you are recording them in a big room. But not too much, usually the defaults are way too much

- I am starting to hear the bass, but you really have to pay a lot of attention to dig it out of the mix. Someone with no much knowledge would never tell there is bass there.

Just my opinion. Maybe you want it like that. Thats OK.

I think in "endurance" you can hear the bass more.

This is for what I hear on my laptop, so obviously the bass won't sound too good anyways. I have problems with this too.

I wonder how it will sound on an Ipod or car radio.

11. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    dude, i like 'morning song' a lot--great bassline you have going!

the song reminds me a bit of one of my favorite bands, arbouretum, but with less guitar leads

12. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    +1 Morning star is a really great song. Recording is good too.

13. I dig it and I usually hate home recordings

14. I've gotten a lot of work done on Thrown Away.

If you have a chance let me know what you think.

Is there a way I can post a link directly to an mp3, anyone know?

15. Only checked out "thrown away"

I think your getting there my friend...good work.

The only thing I noticed was there seemed like a decent amount of separation in the instruments...Like maybe they were recorded at different times and then mixed in (not sure the term)

Only other gripe would be the drums...very early on just before the dueling electrics I couldn't make out if the drummer was playing the kick or something else. Very distant drums in the mix.

Thanks for sharing !!!!

16. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    hmmmm.... its not letting me play em.....

17. You may need to be running IE. I use Firefox, but it took a little tweaking.