Check out my homemade interval testing thing:

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by yoshi, Mar 13, 2004.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all, I decided to try and make something useful and a few hours later here it is.

So far it's only for major scale intervals, Hopefully I'll change it soon to include more.

There may some errors in there, if so please say!

2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm not hearing the sound.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Turn on your speakers. :D

4. thats pretty fun. or maybe im just bored. either way, im winning!!

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey man, pretty cool, although there are already a couple very nice ear training sites out there. notably which not only keeps score but also enables you to do ascending and descending intervals, harmonic intervals and you can chart your progress to see what intervals need work.

For about 2 weeks I used it twice a day, and my intervals are in top form now.

but, still, It's very cool to see someone making something useful.

hey man, if you want a project, how about a melodic dictation trainer?
  6. hehe, cool stuffs, I once thought of doing some client application instead of a web one!
    I think it should show the results of the previous interval!
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001

That is some humbling stuff. Of course it doesn't help that it's nasty samples of an iffy piano. :p

edit: uh, actually that's probably my crappy sound card MIDI I'm hearing. Oh well, adds to the challenge! :D
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not bad, but it would be nice if it told you what you got wrong. I'm still wondering what I thought was a Major 6th... :p
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you know, while uses general midi, it is still VERY useful. My intervals are 100% solid now because of that thing. uses real piano samples, but it's less fluid as
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm only able to sustain about a 60% rate on the ascending intervals. But that kind of training is really helpful, yeah. Doing a similar exercise with some other guitarists for a few weeks really helped me.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well yeah I was also doing interval training in AP music theory, and me and my friends would do it in our down time, so I guess that helped a bunch to, but was definitely up there in the helpfulnessness.

I *really* want to see a melodic dictation program/trainer, but I have no programming knowledge at all.
  12. Well, give your requirements and we will see what we can work out! I am sure there are other programmers here also besides myself!
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This is what I envision.

the interface would have a staff(optional grand staff, clef/key designated prior to course) below that would be a selection grid with different types of notes and rests. When you hit start, it would generate a melody in the key(and range) you specified. Then, you work towards figuring it out using the note selection grid to input notes. in addition to that, there should be a button to reveal the next note in the melody.

options would include
    time signatures
    Key signatures
    timed plays(hit start the melody plays every minute for X amount of times)
    Note limiting(only use quarter notes/rests, only use half notes and eigth notes...etc.)
    instruments(via general midi)

that's the general idea at leats, obviously it'd need some refining, it would need to be as elegant and easy to use as possible, be cross platform, and yeah. that could be a really neat tool.
  14. Cool, this is what I meant "requirement"! Nice description.

I think this is also what Jaco used to train ears, he did mention in his videos, that to learn the melody of all the songs you hear on the radio, basically this software just chunk up random notes to form a melody.

Hehe, will see what I can do in my free time... let me start with a random midi generator for the 1 Octave C Major Scale first.

p/s: should we move this to a separate thread? :bassist:
  15. Check this out:

8 notes sequence Ear Trainer

Only the major scales, hardcoded to 8 notes pattern, the Root note will be played first to let you feel the key of the sequence.

Just hit "reload" to get a new song. :p
  16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey, pretty neat, though, 2 and 3 share a bubble, and when you try to select something other than 1, 1 stays selected.
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think this fits General Instruction best.
  18. Hehe, my bad, bugs all over the place! fixed!
  19. Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: '[string: ""]'

/hatchery/Interval/intervals.asp, line 5
  20. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, sorry about that, I've been adding a score keeping thing to it and because I'm a nooblar it's a bit perished form time to time. I should really do a backup file or some kind of note:p thanks though!