Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my idea for a dp custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I Like the look of this setup. Very much.
    I'd like oppinions:rolleyes:

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Basswood is a great tonewood. But since it's not laminated, I hope you like dented wood that sounds as soft as cotton. :D

Well, you've only got about 95% of your design to go!

3. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    looks ok..i dont like basswood though..how about get a top laminate and a back one and sandwich the basswood in the middle :D

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    It looks cool, but I don't know how "efficient" it would be

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    btw, im not really good with the wood.
    I think i Might change the P/j to a j/j and angle the neck pup.

6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    j/j with an angled neck pup.

7. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I think I'd like the second one better.

And I too think basswood wouldn't be a very good top wood. Maybe put maple over the top??

And is that the body shape you want or just a rough sketch.

Alex

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Wouldn't the J-pickup be angled the other way? I assume you want a little tighter on the lows and a little less bite on the highs.

9. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    by joe your right. Tighter, you look toyt. and it is a rough sketch, but the design is pretty much what I'd Like.

btw, this is the first time for me desinging a bass so the whole top wood thing is a blur to me. Is that meaning use the bass wood in the middle, keep the two lines of padauk, and the rest maple? if so why not keep the cherry. Or i could just Choose a different wood in place of the basswod like ash or maple. bah...

10. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    It means you will still see the neck through the middle(if you want). You will have 'wings' on either side of the neck. They would be sandwiched with whatever wood/basswood/whatever wood. Does that make more sense?? You could really do it with any wood you want.:)

Alex

11. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    O Ya, Nice and Spiced up, Just the way I want it to look. And Ill go with a different wood, but should it be Maple or Ash?

12. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Ok, i did some switcherooing. I changed it to lace wood, then bass wood, and the center is a single line of padauk. I also "simulated a neck" with strings and a headstock. the neck looks wide, because i didnt make it narrow enough.

13. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    *spots an auctioned custom (cut apart jazz copy) bass in e-bay in the near future*

only jokin'.

:)

14. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Looks a bit like a Warwick Dolphin. Lose the skull knobs though... very cheezy.

- Frank.

15. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    will do frank, will do.

16. I wouldn't use bass wood in the neck, it's too soft.

do you know anything about tone woods, or are you basing your decisions on looks alone?

I'm not slamming you, looks are important. just make sure you get a bass that's going to give you a tone you'll be happy with for years to come.

if you like the look of the lighter color wood for a neck, try maple. much better at handling the tension of bass strings.

I like your shape, have fun :) DP's are awesome!

17. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Mr Pushic refused to build a bass for me 'cause I live in Italy... what a silly thing... :mad:

18. pffrrrt..

19. I gotta agree with Chump Stain. If you dig on the lighter colored wood go Maple.

Also, do yourself a huge favor and lay this whole thing out before confirming your descision. By that I mean: Go get yourself an empty refrigerator box cut it apart and physically draw your bass out to size, exactly as you want it. Then cut it out and hold it. Once you have a fullsize mock up you can get a feel for your "custom" shape before commiting $$$$$$ to it. The people at the local appliance store thought I was the village idiot for about 3 weeks last year. I think I went through 20 boxes or so before I came to my winning specs.

Dave's work is outstanding, and the whole design and build process is a blast. Just make sure you really know what you want before you place that order. It's easy to change stuff now, but once the wood is cut - your pretty much commited good, bad, or otherwise. And don't be afraid to talk to Dave about it, he is really the best authority, to answer your questions.

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz

20. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA

Just to clarify: I have nothing against Italy!!! :eek:

I just want to be sure I can properly provide after sales service and support to my customers!

Dave P.

ps: I hope to go to Italy sometime in the next couple years on vacation and eat my way around the country :D