Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my mocked up Thunderbird (my project!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rx jr., Aug 31, 2004.

1. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Remember the thread I posted a while ago about how a bass would sound with all-wenge neck and body? well if you don't remember or haven't checked it out, here's the link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137123

I made this using photoshop. It's a thunderbird-jazz hybrid. I am not sure what color the hardware, pickups, pots, neck width, and the body material will be, but you get the idea what's I'm trying to do.

[​IMG]
    yum

I'm also thinking about using a plain dinky body or explorer shape instead. although the fender headstock goes pretty well with the thunderbird shape. I'm also looking for the warwick type of growly tone and good deep spacious slap tone. I'm also trying to make it as heavy as possible so I can use it to do bicep curls.

I'm still in the brainstorming stage, so any suggestions are appreciated. thanks.

EDIT:
    I fixed it up like how you guys suggested
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Explorer and Dinky

2. steal-o-matic

steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    looks very good
    are the pickups 2 jazz or soabar?

3. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Eeew, no it doesn't! :p

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I like the Jazz headstock with the TB body. Suggestions?
    - Don't like the bound neck with the body. But a bound body would be sweet.
    - Wenge Fender neck and headstock plus TB body could equal massive neckdive, worse than a regular TB. How about a downsized Fender headstock, like they used in the 90's?

5. Funny, I just built the same thing. Except mine has a non-reverse body. Wenge neck. Mahogany body. One custom pup.

It sounds friggin great. I too like the Fender headstock against a t-bird body. You call yours a Jazzbird, I called mine a Fenderbird. An homage to Jon Entwistle really... yours is moreso, body-wise.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Very very cool! I like it! How about a couple of bartiolini rickenbacker pickups? Looks alot like John Entwistle's precision necked thunderbird. :)

7. I like it, but I think it'd be prettier with a black pickguard and elephant-ear tuners.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I love wenge, it's my fave timber.
    Your design looks interesting, but I don't like pickguards (so I wouldn't have one) nor the F*nder headstock (I'd have a cone shaped one). Otherwise it's good. If you build it let us know as I'd like to see how it comes out.

The only all wenge instrument I've seen is a Jazzmaster geetar. It weighs over 14lbs.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Looks great to me! Any cost estimates on the project??

10. Agree'd. The E-Ears would do it.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  12. try to work in the jazz control plate.

13. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    thanks for all the suggestions. your ideas have been put to good use.

these are the updated designs...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Hmm, I like all three! With the 'Bird being my favorite, but not by far. Good luck with the project!

15. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    opinions on the inlays? I might change it to trapezoid or block or none.

16. I dig the "Chevy" inlays.

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I like the chevrons. Especially on the explorer. The Tbird might look like with a series of graduated crescents.

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You know what headstoock might look good on the explorer & Tbird? The old Peavey Dyna-bass shape. (Try to imagine it w/o the pinstripe.) Similar to what is still used for the Cirrus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    That is awesome! Now I'm gassing again. Methinks I'll go on over to warmoth.com....... :D

20. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    thanks for the suggestion but I think I have to extra to get a different headstock shape for Warmoth.

I changed the Thunderbird's fretboard to maple. what do you guys think?

[​IMG]