Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my new baby! Some say it's even better than...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Apr 4, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    ... some very high-rated high-end basses in the US. You know which brand I mean. :cool:

This is an Andre vd End bass!

And the sound is just astonishing, no kidding. I can't record anything at the moment, but I'll share in the future some recordings with you. If you talk about vintage sound, this is the bomb. He has built in about 15 years around 250 axes. Some reviewers (professionals) say his basses sound even better then the Sad's. It is off course a matter of taste, but it gives a view in what range we're looking at. Everything sounds good.. big fat slappin' tone (I was at a jamsession the day I took this bass at home and I couldn't believe what I was hearing, seriously!) and groovy fingerpicking. Fantastic harmonics, very open sounding. You really hear the wood in the bass.. the neck pup 100%, playing the strings near the neck... and it really has an acoustic element in it. (Well.. it always has, but now you really hear the sound of wood through the speakers!!)

Fivestring jazzstyle, a little altered oversized body, his own design.
    Rosewood fretboard, maple neck.
    Ash/alder body.
    Preamp (own design)
    Single coil pups (hand wired - they sound the best, but he doesn't do that anymore, because it is too much work)

Controls:
    Vol/Vol/Tone or Treble/Bass/High-mid.

When I turn on the preamp, I don't have an enormous boost, so that I can really use the passive sound. I still can't believe it.... every time that I play it.

Oh yeah... and the neck plays like butter. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    wooo....very nice bass! definetly a keeper

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You and a Celinder player need to get together and have a Euro J-bass slapoff. I would be curious to hear how this bass sounds compared to a Celinder or Sadowsky, not that I can afford any of them. :rolleyes:

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    NICE!! How much $$?If you don't mind my asking...

5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well... let's say the retail price is around 2700 euro in stores at max. I got it at the builder's place itself and it was a sort of demo bass. It had been made for a thing like Frankfurter Messe, but than in Rotterdam, Holland a few years ago. It's a bit 'friend's price', so I won't mention it with respect to the guy ok? It comes to the fact that I'm very lucky considering the price too... ;)

I can't find only one imperfect detail, honestly.

The proposed test should be very interesting I think.

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    WOW! It better sound GREAT, that's quite a bit of currency, I think it's good that you are respecting the builder and not quoting YOUR price.
    When instruments reach these quality levels I think it's difficult to say one is "better" or sounds "as good", it really is a matter of personal preference. Can't wait to hear it!!

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    And I hear it every day! ;)

The most striking aspect is what I hear from it is that it has lots of character. The builder puts a lot of expertise in that and he practically lives for wood. He has a small terraced house, hardly any paint on it, not one plant to be found in his garden and totally filled with wood. The painting.. he does it in the gardenshed. Fascinating in a way...

8. Hey De Teng, nogmaals: supermooi basje! I bet it doesn't sound as good as my Alembic though... :smug: ;)
    Seriously, I just love that vintage sunburst finish on such a modern Jazz. Welcome to the boutique side of bass and most of all: enjoy! :)

9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Oh yeah, I really enjoy playin' it every day. I'm so fascinated by a real woodsounding bass instead of the electronics which only suck at it, but don't enhance the characteristics. Fortunately this axe does.

By the way: I don't specially want to be a member of the 'hello-we-are-having-boutique-basses-group', but those babies are just incomparable to the factory-made stuff in lots of ways.

Off course you like your Alembic, but we know where we're standing Mule. Thanks for your reply. I'll notice you around. ;)

Other viewers > please note that the colour of the bass is quite dependent on your screen. In real the 2T burst is gorgeous, almost green/yellowish to the eye in the middle. Hardly any orange thus.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dat is verdomme een vette bas, as they say here! What happened to you Warwick? Got it sold?

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Oh man, that's obsolete info! ;)

I traded it for a Lakland Skyline 55.02, but the vd End Jazz 5 is another league, I'll tell you that. :hyper:

12. dat is een helemal lekker bassje .
    poffertjes 4 life. :D

13. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Thanks guys... let's keep it in english ok, with respect to other foreigners? ;)

14. +1

IMHO instruments like that (I really dislike 'boutique') by definition teach you to appreciate individuality, originality and creativity, because they are a product of the same qualities :)

Actually my Alembic faces some pretty heavy competition since the arrival of my Benavente. So you may think you know where I'm standing, I'm not just standing on one leg (anymore) ;) But I wouldn't want to miss a quasi-heated debate every now and then :smug:

Before we wander off to the off-topic side of the street, I have to admit that I've been looking at the pictures of your bass regularly the last few days. IMHO it really is a prime example of classic beauty and understated elegance. You did very well my friend... :cool:

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    De Teng, I don't mind a little Dutch. I've got a Dutch dictionary in my office. A little work is cool. That still is a good bass and I still want to hear an A/B with a Celinder. If that bass wins, it will take the place of Celinder as the Eurobass to GAS for!

16. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Mule > I am very pleased with the design too and yesterday evening with the bands rehearsal and a new drummer, I got plenty of compliments of him all the time. Especially the sound.

Dr. Cheese > I would be interested in an A/B test myself too.. do notice that this bass is cheaper then a Celinder... it's about 1000 euro difference!