Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my new baby!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Hey there folks -

I just made the best trade of my life! I have traded basses a lot over the past three years, but this time I have hit paydirt. Check out these pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those of you who have never played one of these this is a Fender Roscoe Beck V. I know, I know, some of you are turning up your nose at the mention of Fender, but this one is different. Roscoe Beck has played with a lot of top artists including Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robben Ford, and Eric Johnson, and he spent a lot of time with Fender designing this bass. Even the pickups are custom made for this bass. Here are the specs:

Roscoe Beck Specs

I love the tone of this baby - great vintage Jazz tone! The pickups have been specially designed for this instrument. Each pup has it's own mini-toggle switch that allows for single-coil, parallel, and series operation independent of the other pickup. There is only one volume knob (which I prefer for simplicity) and to compensate for the lack of fine tuning ability the tone knob is also a push/pull pot. Pull up and you decrease the output of the neck pickup a bit so that when combined with the bridge you get that classic Jazz Bass growl. I figured out that there are 24 different pickup combinations available and, although not all of them are great, this gives me a lot of flexibility in tone.

The string spacing is identical to a 4-string Jazz Bass which is nice and wide giving my fat fingers a lot of room to move. The bridge is string through so that I get more tension and tone from the 34" scale B-string. I just love this bass and wanted to share my bass-induced joy!

2. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Nice bass, are you taking trade offers on it? :eek:

3. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    Congrats!

4. I don't think I'll be taking any trade offers on this bass. It's pretty much what I have been looking for all this time. Nothing is perfect, but I'm not going to find better in trade. I started with a Dean Edge Q4; traded for an Ibanez BTB405; sold that and spent a little more to buy a Carvin LBJ74; traded that for a Lakland Skyline 55-01; traded that for a MIA Jazz with Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes, Badass bridge, and a graphite neck. The Lakland was nice but I didn't like the active tone. The Jazz was nice but the neck gave it a more modern tone than I wanted. This bass gives me versatility of tone like an active and the sound of a passive.

5. I listened to on of the songs off that link - you guys sound great! I love the sound of the RB5! I traded a MIA Jazz with a graphite neck. The pickups were Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes and the bridge was a Badass. It had good tone but too modern for my taste. The alder/maple/pao ferro combo on the RB5 fits the bill perfectly.

Believe it or not there are some chips out of the candy apple red finish and everyone I have spoken to has told me how hard it is to fix those because it is a three stage paint job, etc. I used some Testors CAR enamel spray paint with a small brush and it matched the color just right. Now all I have to do is apply some clearcoat, sand & buff and it should be pretty much unnoticeable.

6. ric426

ric426 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Nice bass! Did you get it from Jugghead by any chance? If so it used to be mine and is a *really* sweet bass. I just didn't use it enough and sacrificed it during a G.A.S. attack to get another fretless (that I'm *still* looking for). In fact the RB5 would probably make a killer fretless, but I'd never have the heart to do that to that bass.
    Where ever you got it from, congrats. You've got a nice one.

7. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That looks like a great bass! Sounds like it too (according to SMASH's videos which I really liked)
    :bassist: :smug:

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    RB5's are rally impressive Fender 5's. Probably the only 5's that I like from Fender IMO.

NIce Bass, congrats!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, congrads.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Matt
    You look like you have become a true bass trader and the RB5 is a great bass but I was just kidding. ;) I just traded my Lakland DJ4 for a Bongo4 and I am through with trading for a while.

11. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Glad you like it Matt. It's a great bass, it just didn't suit my needs right now. I'm glad it has a happy home. :)

BTW Adding the J-Retro to the Jazz made that an unbelievable bass. It's gonna be my main 4 string gig bass.

12. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

How did you like the BTB? I played one a guitar center last week and liked it more then everything else they had in the store... except for the finish on the neck.
    They didn't have a Roscoe Beck at the store. I think I'll have to look for one.

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Congrats! Looks Killer!!

14. I am so glad that it sounds like you wanted it to! It killed me to trade, but it just wasn't the sound I wanted. The RB5 is definitely the sound I was looking for. Enjoy the Jazz!

15. If you could find a RB5 used at a good price I would take it over the BTB. The BTB is a nice bass, but I like the vintage tone of a passive bass over an active one. They have similar string spacing and weight. They are also similar in tonal versatility. You should try both, but personally I would pick the RB5 over the BTB.

16. I did get this from Jugghead! This is such a nice bass! I can't believe I have come from a Dean Edge Q4 to owning this excellent intrument. I do believe that I will never trade it - now I am on the hunt for the perfect SX project bass! BTW - did this bass take a tumble at some time? When I got it I found three small chips out of the paint on the lower horn and a ding in the pickguard near one of the chips. There are also some scratches on the back of the neck and a long scratch/scrape on the back of the bass. Luckily there aren't any dents! I am having a fairly easy time fixing the chips since the shiny undercoat wasn't chipped. I'm not mad, I just want to know the history of my bass.