Check Out MY New Band :)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Hey everybody, I just had my band play at my graduation party and I recorded everything. please check it out and tell me what you think. The Beethoven song is our first original tune, so give me suggestions for improvement.

Atomic Orange

2. Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    i must say, i'm VERY impressed considering your age, u got it together quite well.
    just a suggestion. Dump the lead vocalist and either teach ur rythm guitarist to sing, or find urself a rythm guitarist that CAN already sing.
  3. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That was cool man. Nice choice of covers too.

Keep up the good work. :bassist:
  4. UPDATE: Our original song isn't on the site anymore, but if anyone would be willing to hear it, I'll send it!(P.S. I have a solo in it :) )

Thanks a lot for your compliments.

Kaboom - Our guitarist CAN sing(almost of us can and do). However, we're al somewhat new to our intruments and can't sing quite as well as we'd like to while playing. However, since college will be sending us in different directions, the guitarist and I will likely be doing a lot more singing soon. Along with the drummer, the guitarist and I will be nearby in college (MD College Park and UMBC if anyone's interested in knowing) so we'll try to keep playing together and maybe find a singing lead guitarist.
  5. Bump. I'm really anxious to know what people think. :) Please be critical! We want to get better.
  6. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    My suggestion, just practice. For a group of young guys, you're not bad. And always, ALWAYS, play songs in the key you can sing them. If whoever is singing wants to sing a song, but it's too high/low, transpose. Beyond the lead singer, get your vocals tight. There are parts where the your timings was off and the harmony was coming in before lead and vice versa. It sounded like the lead vocalist was straining at times.

Also be sure to get the balance of the vocals right volume wise. On closing time, the person who sang lead (who has a nice voice and should sing more then your singer, no offense to the singer ;) ) seemed to get blown out of the mix when the "lead" singer came in.

Also, another note on the singer of Closing Time, the changing/adding of words is something very handy to be good at in a bar setting. If you can change or add to your lyrics to give a shout out to a fan you met in between sets, or tell the people in the bar to drink more beer, you'll get a rise out of the crowd. Also, sometimes if you tell them to drink more beer, they take it as a challenge and will attempt to drink more beer. This means more money if you're getting paid through an extra dollar a beer. This was a little trick that a music teacher taught me and his band would do. They would change words like RHCP - "Aeroplane" to stuff like "Have no fear, drink more beer, huh!" and the crowd would go wild.... and drink mroe beer.

On Pinball Wizard it sounded like the guitarist and keyboard player were playing different chords at the very end. On both versions of the song. A little thing in the mix, but the little things are sometimes the easiest things to fix.

Oh yea, and regarding Pinball Wizard version 2. It's cool to see you expermenting with changing the song around, but I would stay away from just playing the song almost exactly the same only speeding it up ;) It's cool to see you trying to be creative like that though.

As for song choices, very interesting and for the most part good. Keep it very simple at first. I suggest playing lots of 12 bar blues and jazz charts. Stuff that has a set pattern, repeats and allows your band to work on timing. Going faster only works if you're together :)

Even if you don't play stuff like I mentioned, play simple 3 and 4 chord songs, and just repeat them. This will give you and the drummer a lot of time to sync up, and also give your solo instruments time to experiment with those modes and pentatonics they have been practicing in their rooms for the past year. If you want to be a straight up cover or tribute band, I wouldn't worry as much about getting the improv solo stuff down, but honestly, do you want to play someone else's music the rest of your life? ;)

I also suggest that you and the drummer get together to do some stuff alone away from the rest of the band. Though I wouldn't say the timing is bad, you never really seemed really hit the pocket.

One last parting word... play Door covers. Whoever was doing vocals in House of the Rising Sun (same guy that did closing time I think? Post who sang what, I'm interested :p) sounds a bit like Jim and you have an organ player. Just make up a bass part and there you have it. The Doors pwn...