1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my new bass Circa 1850

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by funkyfretless, Mar 2, 2008.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey guys,
    i just bought the most bad ass bass everrr!!!! its an unknown czech bass.
    it belonged to a bass player named rodney jordan... the bass teacher at fsu. i got it at ronald sachs in atl. i also acquired a coda met. bow as well. the sustain is soo amazing on this bass as well as the growl.

here are some basic pics ill add some later hopefully.

Attached Files:

2. Now thats a bass that has lived a full life, thats how old basses are supposed to look when they've been used for centuries.

3. Wow- did you relic it yourself?

:D

4. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    That looks sweet! Fully carved I'm sure.

The finish looks so rough..in a good way.

How is it to play?

5. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Wow! that bass has definitely seen some world wars! I don't know about 1850, though. I'm curious about what Arnold or Ken will have to say. Is the FB brand new? it looks pristine.
    Robobass

6. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    the fingerboard is new yes as well as the bridge, tailpiece, and endpin. other than that i believe its all original.

it plays oh soooo amazing!! its rediculously loud too. and the sound it really full in thumb position too. the growl is to god to be true to. yes its fully carved.

ronald sachs says it was a late 1850's or early 1860's. i'm not a luthier, but thats what i was told so. unfortunately it doesn't have a label.

maybe ken o arnold will chime in. i'll take some close pics soon as well to help out.

evan

7. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Whoa, that is badass. The grain on the back is especially awesome!

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Early or late? How can he tell? Unless you have an exact maker with documents on his personal basses, I don't see that possibility of knowledge. The Bass is Germanic in style from Germany, Austria, Bohemia or Czech depending on many things. The Back being flat shows way more damage than the Top. The Top if 1850-1860 should show some more wear other than just edge work. If the Top is thick and hasn't been used much, then anything is possible. Show me all the Rib pictures and all 4 angles of the Scroll plus the button area and anything else of note. Then I might make a guess on it.

Regardlessl, it is a commercial style Bass from what I see. They can sound quite nice. I have an old Bohemian Bass, a small 3/4 at the moment and it too is in better shape on the Top than the Back.

Heres what it says on the Website from Sach's; Unknown Maker, Czechoslovakia, Bass circa 1860.

Czechoslovakia the country and name did not exist untill after WWI.

In 1860, there was no such country by that name.

9. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    wow, now i know why ken is the man, even if its from 2005 its a fine bass and if your that happy with it then i dont think a year or a country will alter your feelings

10. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    How about a professional restoration to the standards I usually get costing from 5-10k for that Bass to be put into top condition? Still feel good buying a Bass listed for 12k? Fully restored including cosmetics, maybe. Like it looks now, not in my book.

11. jimmyduded

jimmyduded

Jun 12, 2007
    cherry hill nj
    im saying he will like it reguardless, not that it will cost more, be worth less or was a bad buy, 12 k is more than ill make in a year(unless my violin find sells for more than expected)so i probably wouldnt be spending it on a bass.... im just saying the way he describes it he is in love

12. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos

[​IMG]

Grain? Isn't that just dirt and blotchy varnish touch-ups?

13. Hey, let's at least give the guy a week to gloat and then hit him with some of the bad news! It's probably his first carved bass and there should be a short honeymoon before you realized all the pitfalls and trials of such a purchase. Don't worry orig. poster. It's gonna be fine, enjoy that bass and learn all you can now about carved instrument ownership.

14. Matthew Tucker

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Jason you're right :meh: I probably shouldn't have written that. I don't like it when people rain on my parade so why should I do it to someone else?

Sorry Funkyfretless; It actually looks like a fun bass to have and to play. But i still don't think you can tell much about the grain from the pic provided, unlike the Eva Mogo bass on the same site.

15. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Hey, are you saying my 200 year old bass labeled "Made in West Germany" is a fake? :p
    Robobass

16. Matthew Tucker

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Also, Ken, any bass claimed to be "Italian" and older than 150 years is a fake, too, because Italy didn't really exist before 1861 either

(So you can whip that Storioni right out of your "Italian Bass School" thread for starters... ;))

17. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Written in English? 200 years old? Keep dreaming.. lol

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I have never seen a single Bass labeled as made in Italy. I have seen Milano, Napoli, Mantova, Genova etc.. The city within the Italian region.

In the case I noted above, anything from the early Czech region before 1918 was labeled Bohmen (Bohemia) or Praha (Prague). I have never seen an authentic old Label written in other than its native language. Some use Latin and some English used Latin and Italian. Some old German stuff use Italian as well to fake where they came from.

Matt, I guess you don't get much down there to see first hand huh? Reading and seeing them on the 'net is one thing but holding them in your hands is another.

19. I have a question Ken, is it possible that the website just listed it that way, because that's the current terminology for the country(granted bohemian or other are the excepted bass words). I just noticed that the OP said that there way no label inside, so it was written anywhere on the bass.

20. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    wow guys.. thanks for all the great comments and well.. insults i guess.

i didnt buy it cause it was.. " a czech bass that was from 1860" i bought it cause it sounds great and kicks ass :)

i also didn't pay 12,500 for it either. only 10,000... still a lot of money i know, but it sounds so responsive and is the nicest bass i've ever played. sometimes i think we all need to not care about fancy woods, makers, origin, and electronics.... but just play music cause we love it, and everything else will do its job :)

i'll get some pics of the ribs and insides as well as the headstock tonight, if i can get access to a camera.

evan