Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jun 12, 2002.

1. first off, my username used to be fukingus, but people didn' like it, so now i'm gustomatic.. ANYWAY,
    here is my new p-bass. lemme know what you guys think

Alder AllParts body
    Warmoth bird's eye maple neck
    rosewood fretboard
    Bartolini 5-string P pickup
    Basslines MM pickup
    all passive, single volume knob

it's big and round up front and very Jaco-ish at the bridge. gonna go play it in about an hour.. more reviews to come. let me know what you all think..
  2. here's the pickup layout and control configuration
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dood! that P rocks major socks. very very very handsome piece. the birdeyes neck is a very nice touch.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

All these Warmoth and the like threads are really seriously truly making me consider building one myself.

How does the P/MM pickup combo sound?? I have never had a chance to hear a bass with that pup configuration.
  5. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    very very very nice!

looks great.. hows it sound?
  6. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    do u have any "pan" control between the pups, or are they both active 100% and active in a 1:1 ratio?
  7. nice, I was trying to get an Fender American Deluxe Precision 5 (compareable to yours) but idk, the dealer I'm going through sucks major balls. :mad:
  8. Whoa, that looks phat! I bet it gets the traditional 4-string Stingray sound pretty well, too.

I wouldn't mind having a bass with a P/MM pickup configuration, but I'd probably use split-coil and dual-coil soapbars for a cleaner look.

Matt, are you reading this? :D
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    you did it!!

that's the final bass layout for me. i hope to copy that as soon as possible!
  10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not a fan of the P-bass design but I would probably buy this. Very nice.
  11. let's see if i can answer them all...

to Ryan Lunneborg: the sound is very tight by the bridge, and nice and round further up.. taking it to a gig tomorrow night, so we'll see.. it's a good thing it's passive, active would be scary..

Freakapotomus9: i'll know more tomorrow. from what i heard at a hip hop recording session tonight, it's gonna kill with my band. but, the producer preffered my J-Bass V with dead strings and all the highs rolled off.

K Dubbs: no pan. it's all passive. imagine a passive bass with 2 volumes and a tone knob. this setup is basically tone knob dimed, and both volume knobs being controlled by one.

BArroso: back off punk! my design.. just kidding :D it sounds really good. from what i've heard, the pickup combination makes for very clear notes above the 12th fret. fluttery stuff and chordal things come across very clearly.

Phatbasstard: i had to try something new... i only play passive basses, and i needed to try someting besides the p-bass or j-bass style.. i had an MTD kingston 5 but i wasn't too happy with that stock pickup.
  12. holderman

May 25, 2000

Where did you get the pickguard from?
  13. Gusto,
    that bass kicks major league butt!!
    if it sounds as good as it looks, it may make your V, and your new DP obsolete:eek:

did you already record all your parts for the Jawbraker album?
    is the record out yet?
    cant wait to get my hands on that sucker!
    man, Ir has become one of my favorite bands, every song I've heard rules.
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Whoah, unconventional (to say the least) pickup configuration! Pretty bass.
  15. To Holderman: i should've mentioned this before, it was built by Fred here at the Repair Zone in San Diego. he cut the pickguard himself from a blank. not too shabby!

to Chump Stain: whatup man? this thing does kick some ass! i'm gigging with it tonight so i'll let everyone know how it went. we've laid all the trcks for the new album, we just have to do vocals and then onto mixdown. it's pretty heavy. all signs of us being "jazzy, fusion based rock" is totally out the window. we play hard freakin rock and that's all there is to it. but when you add a didgeridoo and woodwind player with a PHD you get some crazy stuff live! we'll have to see about the new DP. dave just got my specs, i'm waiting for his reply. the new shape is basically like my first DP, but not as squashed. more "normal" looking. i opted for 22 frets instead of 24 and i've got a little more wood running up the bass side of the neck for the horn. it's not anyhere near a single-cut, just a little more beef where the neck meets the body. you still sleeping with yours? last i heard you had the strap inlaid to your shoulder so you couldn't take it off!! :D
  16. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    dude fred rocks.... he just recently put a bart pickup system in my carvin 5.... Fred at the repair zone... crazy.... he does awesome fretwork too.

anyway... so you can't control which pickup you're using? The one control is the volume of both pickups at the same time?
  17. to falsehoodbass: i'm not sure how familiar you are with passive stuff. basically with passive pickups if the tone and volume aren't dimed, then you're not getting the full output of the pickup. when you cut anything on a passive instrument you're gonna lose it in the output. i had this wired so both tone knobs would be wide open, and both volumes are controlled by one knob. i get the tones i need from hand placement and technique over batteries. Fred was stoked to do this bass for me. he's been working on my stuff for years. he said he was able to get a stronger output as well because both pickups are wired directly to one knob and then the output jack. the signal really isn't running through any other filters (separate volumes controls, tone knobs etc) before it hits the output jack. he knows my style of playing, and this setup fits it perfectly.

fred rules! glad to hear you like his work. his fretwork is awesome. he's actually fretting my guitarist's cello right now! go figure...
  18. pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    wow that is a real nice bass. i like the pickgaurd alot. what made you decide to only have the one volume control?
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As a fellow Precision lover and dedictated 5-string player, I know very well that our options are limited. You've taken matters into your own hands and built yourself a real beauty... congratulations!