1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my new Custom Rendering!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stpvoodoo1, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Scot over at Beav's Graphics put this together for me today (super fast!!! Thanks Scot!)

It's the first look at my new May Custom. Scot at www.beavsgraphics.com nailed it. It'll be nearly exactly like this; same wood grain and all!

I like it a lot! BUT I'm biased..Anyone wanna share their HONEST opinions?

The top/headstock/inlay/knobs/nut is called pale moon ebony (super rare).

Neck will be flamed maple and ebony stringers.

Thoughts?

pm61000.

2. looks really great.

headstock and neck look a bit oversized for the body wings, but its just my opinion.

i think it would look a bit better in a 4 string (maybe i'm biased b/c i cant get my hands around those wide 6's) :)

3. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    I really like the Kanji for number six you have on the fretboard, but maybe you should have it facing the other way so it's right-side up when you play instead of sideways?

4. Thanks man...Yeah it looks like a bit of a beast...I've never had a 6, but since I'm going custom and i've got a few 5's and a four I figures what the hell...I'll bert the headstock doesn't end up that big..

I see what yo umean with the sideways thing, but I kinda like the shape of the symbol across the 12th fret. ehh...hmmm

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Unless you can have them build the lower cutaway a fair bit deeper, it's going to be a bitch to reach the last couple frets. I speak from experience.

Cool design though. Make sure the body wood has a bit of weight to it or that the neck and headstock are quite light- that headstock is fairly large and could cause some neck dive otherwise (again, speaking from experience- here's a custom I used to have with quite similar size relations).

Attached Files:

6. nice Hil

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Both ways on the kanji can be argued, I see your point on the top line being across the 12th fret, and I dig it.

Something that was discussed in a different thread by EMJazz whom I do respect is that if you don't have the upperhorn making it to the 12th fret, then it pushes the reach on the frets near the headstock out a little bit. Personally, I have no real experience on that, but I will say that some have said f basses actually have all the frets kind of shifted to the right, or easier to reach, and the more I think about the conversation (KJung pointed that out, to give due credit), I have notice how comfortable the reach is.

Just regurgitating random facts/thoughts picked up on good ol TB :smug: