1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my new Precision bass =)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1940andy, Sep 4, 2008.

1. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    It's a Fender MIM with DiMarzio pickups and a Leo Quan Badass II Bridge. Could anyone help me figure out what year this is?

It looks the serial # is MZ4086668.

316mcr6.

if8h6o.

30k39xu.

Do you guys think it'd look good with a pickup cover?

2. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    It's 2004-05.

And IMO no Pickup cover

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Z4 = '04
    MZ4 = Made in Mexico, '04

4. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I dont think a pup cover looks right without the bridge cover. I think your bass looks great without either.

5. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    Pickup cover would probably really set it off with that color scheme, it's always playability that I'm worried about with those. I honestly think it would look great if you could live with playing and having one. (I don't mention the year since it's been solved)

6. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks for your opinion. I kind of want a bridge cover and a pickup cover, but for some reason I didn't think the bridge cover would fit over a Badass bridge? Seeing as how I play with a pick in my band most of the time, it shouldn't be TOO hard to get used to playing with them on. I guess i'll just have to see if I really want to drill holes in this bass or not.

7. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

im very picky with P basses, and this one is a winner, i dont know why i find it very very good looking, and please dont add the cover

8. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I'm glad the deal went through for you! How is the amp?

Skip the covers, play it naked... It is a good lookin' bass.

=wr=

9. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    I don't know if I'm going to or not, but if I do, it won't be for awhile. Seeing as how this bass is still brand new to me, I don't want to just go drill holes in it right away, you know?

Thanks on the compliment, though! :bassist:

I've never really seen a chrome red bass with a tort pickguard, but I LOVE it on this one.

10. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    I like the amp a lot =)

11. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nice bass man.

12. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I think the bass looks awesome.

And yeah, as other said, fender serial numbers for 2000-? are Z#. So a MZ4 would be 2004 Mexico. I'm sure it's entirely possible the whole thing was completed and shipped in 2005 though.

I had a pickup cover on my Ric and it looked amazing. I couldn't deal with it though, it was just too much in the way. I took it off and accepted the hit on looks for playability.

Also, when other people said take the pick up cover off.... I've taken my cover off on my MIA 2001 P bass 3 times to swap covers and there's a routing hole all the way from the pots to the pups. I wouldn't suggest it if yours is the same.

13. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Throw a 15" under that combo; you should be ready for whatever comes your way...!

Congratulations! (Be extra nice to the folks.) :cool:

=wr=

14. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Super bass... don't think bridge cover will fit... add a thumbrest to give it a vintage look.

How do you get on with the machine heads?... on mine they were a bit loose... I swapped them out with a set of Wilkinsons.

15. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    The machine heads are fine. I don't have a problem with them.

16. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    will you raise the pick up on the G string?

17. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
    Awesome looking bass! I would leave it as is.

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd leave it as is. I tried playing a Jazz bass w/a pickup cover on it and I never got used to it. So i took it back off.

If you want to give it a try without committing to drilling holes-I used a little bit of sticky-tack to hold it on temporarily.

all the best.

19. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Holes are cool... Had to take the pup cover off of mine...

20. bassfrenzie

bassfrenzie

May 26, 2008
    Love the axe man. I think a cover would look cool...but I'm a little nostalgic about all the covers...I owned a '75 Jazz and kept all the chrome. The cover made a great thumb rest.

Come to think of it a little bit of Bad Ass bridge sticking out of the cover would probably look radical.

I'm considering a pup cover for my new Highway 1 Jazz. Now I'm considering a hood scoop for the bridge....

Rock it dude.