Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my new roscoe!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jivetkr, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I’ve wanted one of these for a while & this one is really nice. I can’t stop looking at the top. The figure is crazy! It was very easy to give up my warwick thumb for this beauty.

Does anyone know what the fretboard is? The guy I got it from didn’t know.

This thing sounds huge & I’ve never heard a bass that sounded so clear...Time to clean up the technique. I'm really happy with this deal.

Check out the pics.

Attached Files:

2. Awesome catch, man! That top is great. Unsure on the fingerboard. I've wanted a Roscoe for quite a while. Too bad I'm broke! :crying:

Anyway, congratulations.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nice. The finish is so deep... looks like a pool you could dive right in!

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Great choice!

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Beautiful bass :) It's nice to see a 4-string Roscoe as well. Most of the time all I see are 5+ (I feel the same way about MTD too)

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    fingerboard: poplar or maybe cocobolo sapwood (is there such a thing)?

7. yes, that is a good lookin' bass

8. That sucka is jammin' without hearing a note from it! Well done! I love the depth of the figure. Somebody had a good eye when that slab hit the saw. Ya got a killer axe, now get reinvigorated and playPlayPLAY!

9. I usually don't like the angled-pickup Roscoes(LGs?), but this bass breaks rules for me- I also just realized I usually don't like the looks of 'non-traditional' shaped 4-strings, til this bass. Sweet! As for the fretboard, Keith sure seems to like unusually-colored Purpleheart, so that's my guess. I doubt it's Poplar, which is quite soft if I'm not mistaken.

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    After looking at Roscoe's site, he only lists fretboard woods as Rosewood (Pao Ferro), Maple, Spalted Purpleheart, Ebony, Birdseye Maple, Birdseye Diamondwood. So I would have to guess that it's maple with a darker streak section at the bottom. It looks like maple to me anyway.

*edit* Actually now that I look at some more pics, it MAY be spalted purple heart that is really light in color.

11. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    thanks for the comments guys. After looking at alot of roscoe pics I think its probably spalted purpleheart.

Whatever it is...Its got such a clear tone. I cant stop playing it. Tomorrow its getting put through the big rig(6x10/2400 watts). That should be alot of fun.

12. Spank it J, let us know how it goes! I bet a ****load of people come up to tell ya how pretty that bass is. Nevermind your playin'! :p Enjoy it bro!

13. I have a piece of spalted purpleheart & half of the board looks like mahogany, except lighter. I used it to make fingerboards for a couple of EUBs and when I was done radiussing the second one, there was almost no purple left!

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think I just spoke to the owner of the bass a few days ago, and I'm pretty sure he mentioned that it was a Maple board.

15. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great Find !!!

16. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Why not send Keith an Email, or better yet, call him. He's very pleasant & accommodating. Nice bass. I love dem Roscoes. I own 2. Actually, they own me. :D

www.roscoeguitars.com

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ouch....that's beautiful.

;)

...looking at that board, I'm going to guess it is just a really interesting piece of maple. The grain is all wrong for being purpleheart (yes, the color COULD be, but it just looks....wrong...for purpleheart).

Best way to be sure, try to get ahold of Keith and ask him:

info@roscoeguitars.com

Or just wait a few weeks and I'll try to find out a bit more for you...

:cool:

18. just wicked! :)

19. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Nice looking top! :cool: Congratulations!
    I would guess that the fingerboard is maple, although it has some nice streaking going on that's typical of spalted purple heart. Maybe it's maple sap wood.

20. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Very Nice! Enjoy it!