1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Check out my new time capsule! Vintage Aria content!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChefKen, Feb 28, 2017.

1. ChefKen

ChefKen Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    I took this amazing bass in trade and it blows me away. My old 1975 jazz never played this good! I cannot find much about these basses.....1977 Matsumoku Jazz by Aria. Nearly Mint. No checking in the finish. All original. I even have the original white pickguard. Someone must have kept this in a closet for years. One of the best playing and sounding Jazz basses i have ever played and I have played hundreds.

I think this bass might actually be a decent investment. I saw one for sale of 1100. !!!
    What do you all think?? IMG_0569.JPG aria1. IMG_0572.JPG aria2. IMG_0570.JPG aria4. IMG_0573.JPG aria5. IMG_0574.JPG aria3.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Headstock.... IMG_0577.JPG aria6.

3. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Love the embossed "A" on the bridge ashtray.

4. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    The Chinese today would have put an F........

TJH3113, madjazzbass and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Matsumoku basses are excellent instruments.
    Congrats.

R&B, Pirate Captain and ChefKen like this.
  6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Great quality - 1976 onwards were the years when Matsumoku, Fujigen, Chushin, Suzuki, Kasuga, Dyna and others really got the hang of it.

There was never any "lawsuit" regarding these Fender copies, however. That's just a misnomer, invented as a selling point for Japanese basses made in the late '70s.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    I was surprised how hot the pickups are....Need to let these new strings die down or better yet....need to replace em. Other then a few small dings and yellowing of the Pearl inlays this bass looks new. The finish pops like a brand new Sadowsky. No dead spots on the neck unlike my old fender.

spiritbass and shawshank72 like this.
  8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I'm glad you posted this comment cdef, I was just about to.

TD

cdef likes this.
  9. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    title fixed

10. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    I cannot find any comps out there at all...one similar bass on a vintage Japanese guitar site. How rare are these basses?

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice score! I love the "A" on the ashtray and it's no surprise that it plays better than most late 70's Fenders. Fender was putting out alot of dogs back then.

Value of these is hard to figure. People ask all kinds of prices for them, but I doubt you'll find many that have actually sold for anywhere near $1000. Someone's asking $750 for one on ebay with case (not as nice as yours) and I doubt they'll get it. Based on the going rate for fender MIJ stuff (admittedly not as old) and other Vintage MIJ basses, I think you'd easily goet $5-600 for yours. Still, the value of MIJ basses is going up and who knows what the future might bring.

R&B and ChefKen like this.
  12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Love it. You got one with woods that work together: no noticeable dead spots. I especially like the wood grain on the bass side/bout. :cool: I wouldn't worry about the value, just play and enjoy!

13. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Thank you.....I was not planning on using it for my retirement or anything.....I just like to know value upside in case I do sell it someday. I probably would not part with a rare bass on principal.

spiritbass likes this.
  14. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    As the guy who traded it to you, I'm extremely glad you've tuned into what a special bass it is. I originally bought it as the "beater" alternative to my 77 Jazz, but it was so nice I couldn't bring myself to bang it about!

By the way, I'm over-the-moon happy with your old Alembic. A fair transaction all the way around.

15. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    And thank YOU sir! Mutual satisfaction! Shipping sucks but then again this is a big country.

16. The Matsumoku factory was well known for building good instruments, and Aria was a good line. I think that Jazz with the A on the bridge cover is VERY cool indeed!!

That's a real keeper.

ChefKen, R&B and Obese Chess like this.
  17. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    That bass is solid gold. I had the same bass, same year. Do not sell it to anyone but me.:D

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      96.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      83.1 KB
      Views:
    ChefKen likes this.
  18. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Very nice!

19. ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    NICE....the bass came with brand new Tort pickguard just like yours....Have not decided which I prefer.

20. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    a 3-ply gloss black or flat black guard would look good with that burst as well.