1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check out my new to me Squier Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz3625tonic, Sep 23, 2008.

1. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    I don't know what has always drawn me to these Vista Tone Squiers but I always wanted one so I scored this one off the bay... it should be here tomorrow or Thursday. Anyway, after I play with it a little I'll let you know what I think.
    Here's some pic's for now!

2. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Two more pic's. :)

3. Pretty. They're shortscales. right?

4. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Yes, shortscale.

5. Sweet! I really want one of those too. Preferably a coral pink one. Great catch!

6. dronnba

dronnba

Nov 7, 2002
    Porvoo, Finland
    Nice! My brother has a pink one and I have a black one. Those pickups are HOT! The output from my Musicmaster is hotter than on my Fender Roscoe Beck V with dual humbuckers in series! The only thing I don't like about the musicmaster is that it is neck-heavy.

Cheers,

Dronnba

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I bought one of those for my girl a while back. She never touched it. If anyone in the US wants one I'd be happy to sell it to you. I took it to one rehearsal and it sounded surprisingly good. Don't care for the short scale though.

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

PM sent.

9. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    OK. I have had the bass for a few days. The first thing and it's only real downfall is the neck dive... like others have said about this bass. But having said that, it's not really a problem since the bass is short, small (and light) and when your playing it it's not very hard to keep it playing position. However I know the thought of neck dive makes a lot of folks turn and run.
    Now for what is great about bass. I lowered the action to med. low (a bit more on the lower side) and there are no high spots on the frets that showed themselves. Workmanship on the neck is very good IMO. The frets seemed to be seated very well. Now this little pickup... wow! A hot little number. The output far exceeds what I had thought it would be. No noise at all, loud and sounds very much like a good Fender split single. In fact I have played a couple of the Fender American Musicmaster basses and I like this pup a lot more. There is a lot of fat bottom end in this bass, clear and not muddy. Also, I went right to the B, C, and C# on the G string and the notes are loud and clear. No dead spots! I was suprised to say the least. :)
    All in all a great little Squier that is looks cool, is nice and light a most of all a blast to play!
    It's a keeper for sure.

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    It may not be real manly to say this, but I really dig coral pink!

Nice score.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Rx for neck dive: Hipshot Ultralight Tuners.

RE: Dead spots. Over the years I've found that my short scale basses have much more even response and deadspots have never been an issue. My new Squier Bronco is also a testament to that.

I swapped the pickup on my Bronco for a slightly modded EMG-SA simply because I felt like it just to see what happened and it worked it's first gig last night. It performed much better than the price I paid for it would indicate and it's very lightweight was extremely comfortable without much neck dive with the lighter OEM tuners of the Bronco. It's earned a permanent spot it the rotation.

Now I want to get both a lightweight Squier Musicmaster (Black or maybe Shell Pink) and Fender Mustang RI (Vintage White).

Too bad then don't make a short scale bass with the Duo-Sonic aesthetic.

12. DutchDude

DutchDude

Sep 12, 2007
    Man good to hear that the Squier musicmaster is a good bass, because I have the oppurtunity to buy one for 150 euros, it's foam green with matching headstock, so I'm definitly gonna buy that. i'll post pics if I buy it:)

13. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    nice. matching headstock is WIN.

14. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    I'm looking forward to checking that out!

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    great looking small basses!