Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my new toy!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CoolHat, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Well, actually it´s not mine to keep, I´ll have to return it in June. But anyways, here it is:

[​IMG]

Basically it´s a Nokia 7710 mobile phone with a custom built digital TV receiver. It´s on a prototype stage, and I´m one of the 500 pilot users in Finland. They are trying out the technology and also figuring out when and where people would be watching it. You can read more about it here:

http://www.finnishmobiletv.com/

I´ve now had it for about a week. Technically it works fine, although the reception varies quite a bit; thats probably going to change after they get more coverage for the network. But to me the main problem is - surprise, surprise - the quality of TV programming. Right now the channel selection is quite limited, so the chances of finding something interesting to watch when the time is right (say, travelling, waiting for someone, on the lunch break) are slim. Personally I´d rather have a moderately fast and inexpensive internet in my cell phone. The 7710 has a large enough display to make net surfing enjoyable, but the connection is too slow and costly. Some sort of video-on-demand service would be cool too.

The phone manufacturers and operators are obviously expecting big things from mobile TV and it will be interesting to see how it will affect the nature of television, if it catches on. IMO we´ll see even more short-attention-span-programming like inane interactive game shows etc. :spit:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've been reading about that cell phone TV chip that TI developed. I'd also usually rather surf the net than watch TV. Looks pretty cool though...you could actually watch some widescreen movies on that if you COULD get video on demand. HD would be sweet.

brad cook

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've always said about Cable TV: "It takes twice as long to find out...There's nothing on!"

4. Yeah, a net connection would be a lot more handy. Imagine posting on TB while waiting for the bus? My post number would skyrocket!!:D

Probably get sore thumbs, though.

Rock on
    Eric

5. Actually, I tried to do just that today :D Well, to be honest, it wasn´t a bus but a tram... Anyways, the browser (a basic version of Opera I believe) couldn´t load the TB. It just gave me some "XML error" crap, followed by the source code. I tried some other forums and they worked fine. I wonder what gives?

But as I said, the connection is way too slow for any serious browsing. Checking e-mails is a doddle though.