Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out my Peter Hook impression /thread for chorus mp3's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 18, 2003.

1. I was playing my Dearmond Jetstar special in single coil mode through a Zoom 506 chorus setting with a pick and found I got very close to Hooky's sound on "Thieves like us" (the lead line).

I don't know what bass that was- a Yamaha, the Eccleshall semi or the Shergold 6string.

ps. post your chorus mp3 clips too.

2. bump- anyone got a clip of their Boss CEB3, Digitech X series, TC Electronics thingy, Electroharmonix Small Clone?

3. Ooooh, I'll have to get mp3s in on this thread, I love chorus.

I have a DOD FX63 "Deep Freeze" chorus, it's pretty good, better than the Boss.

Check out Magazine's Secondhand Daylight album; the bass on that is soaked in chorus, it's fantastic. the bassist's playing (Barry Adamson, my favorite player) is pretty good too.

That's something I've found; it's only really noticable when you're using a pick. Wonder why?

4. I've got the Magazine "rays and hail" compilation.
    -yeah, Barry Adamson is a great bassist.

some other chorus users I like are Simon Gallup of the Cure, Steven Severin of Siouxsie & the banshees, Tim Butler of the Psychedelic Furs, Jamie Stewart of The Cult (check out "resurrection joe").
    JJ Burnel occasionally used it with The Stranglers too.

the added attack of a pick comes accross well with chorus, but Stanley Clarke, and his devotee Mark King played fingerstyle through chorus quite a bit eg. Level 42's "the chinese way", "dune tune".

for comparison here's another Hooky impression I did, this time fingerstyle, through a Boss CEB3 (this is the riff that's been turning up on every New Order and Monaco song lately- the words "rut" and "stuck in" come to mind.......)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds cool. I'll have to record some tonight.

Not sure about the recording, but in the Pumped Full of Drugs video I'm pretty sure he uses the Shergold. Well. . .now that I think about it, I don't know if they even play that song on that vid. But I seem to have the image in my head of him playing that riff on the 6.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Here's my "Hook" patch on the V-Bass. It's a modified P-bass, 2x2 chorus (split at 800Hz, heavier on the high end), Bassman head, 1x18" cab.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    And another one. Rushed it a bit.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. unfortunately I can only record in mono right now. Both sound much better in stereo. :)

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    MTR - it's interesting, your first clip sounds a lot like the Eccleshall!

10. I think Hooky uses the bridge p/up (a reversed Yamaha P p/up) on his Eccleshall only (on the Finsbury Park video you can see the neck pickup has been removed and the cavity taped over).
    on my Dearmond I've fitted a Kent Armstrong MM p/up, and in single coil mode the neck-facing coil is soloed- probably in roughly the same spot. also i think it's in the same spot as a Rickenbacker bridge p/up.

your V-bass clips sound a lot like his tone on "Regret".

11. hellboy

hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey, those are some good-sounding clips. What kinds of chorus settings are you guys using?

MTR - I recognize the Monaco song that "cliché" comes from, but what other songs do you think use it?

If I can get the recording/mp3 thing sorted here I'll try and post a clip at some point...things are a bit disorganized at the moment.

12. New Order "run" and some others, I think another Monaco song- it pops up quite a bit as a fill.

here are some more-
    this is my Hohner B2A in active mode, flat, with the neck pickup soloed through a Zoom 506 (crystal chorus)
    the riff are the intro to "what do you want from me" by Monaco and "24hrs" by Joy Division;

13. this is the Dearmond again , in single coil mode through the Zoom 506, the riff is from New Order's "Bizarre love triangle";

14. now the Dearmond in parallel mode for a pseudo-stingray tone.
    first The Cure's "piggy in the mirror" as played by Simon Gallup in the Cure In Orange live video, then The Cult's "Resurrection Joe" as played by Jamie Stewart.
    I played this clip fingerstyle as my string-skipping abilities with a pick aren't quite up to it:oops:

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow! That's the sound right there. Funny though, for 24 Hours I can't seem to hear the accent on the right beat in that recording so it sounds really off to me! :)

16. another way i like to use chorus is to approximate a fretless sound.

this is my fretted Hohner B2A with the added middle humbucking pickup soloed to give a stingray-type sound. Zoom 506 crystal chorus again.

(I think there was a hefty does of chorus added to Pino Palladino's fretless stingray in the recording of Paul Young's version of "wherever I lay my hat")

17. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    hey - that's spot on :)

nicely played !!!

and i do like that sound !

18. ...not bad! I would add Big Country's Tony Butler to this list - he uses the chorus effect a lot on their first two albums which are The Crossing and Steeltown. Very melodic playing, too! :)

19. oh yeah, I forgot about Tony Butler.
    his chorused chordal lines were featured quite prominently in tracks like "Fields of fire".

20. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    cool thread guys. hey geshel, how do you play the intro to "EGG"? thanks