Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

check out my Q5 'Modulowsky'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andysvec, Mar 16, 2006.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I've had this purpleheart topped Q5 since new in 92 and it's done literally thousands of gigs, I didn't even look at another bass for ten years. During that time it got really banged up and also had mods done every so often, plus the gloss finish was coming off the neck like rubber cement when I sweated for some reason. I had a sadowsky pre installed by the Sadowsky shop years ago but was never really a fan of the warm sound of the barts that came with my bass. So I finally bought some sadowsky soaps off ebay and sent everything to Michael Dolan's shop. He fixed all the nicks/dents and did a refin on the body/neck which is satin and done to perfection, I wish I had some 'before' shots of it to show how beat up I let it get. It really looks and feels like new now, and he got my frets back in shape and routed the body/installed the sadowsky soaps along with an ebony ramp and did a great overall setup. I'm really pleased how everything turned out, and the sadowsky soaps and pre sound just like I was hoping. Kudos to the Dolan shop!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I found a before shot of the back of my Q5 just to get an idea of how bad it was.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  4. Well done! I bet it just snarls now.

5. Wow thats quite an improvement!

Great looking bass too.

6. andysvec

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    It sure does. It's 2am here on Guam and I just got home from a bar gig, the soundman made a few comments to me on how much he liked my bass tone tonight (which he usually doesn't say a compliment to anyone!) One of my bass friends was in the audience too and was asking if I had a new bass and really liked the sound. I let him sit in for a few songs and checked out the mix, I'm really pleased. I can play it easy and it has a nice fat tone and I can dig in and can get that flea-type pronounced twang, and everything in-between.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's really nice. I hope you get another solid ten years out of that bass, or even more.:bassist:

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Very Cool! It looks great!

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's looking really nice! I wish I could hear it.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that is cool. I really like Modulus basses anyways, but that must sound fantastic.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Nice to know that there are people that aren't afraid of tearing up their basses a little bit. Looks great, and I bet it sounds ever better.

14. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Is there any way we could get some clips posted (please please pretty please!)? I'm really interested in how she sounds!

15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow, that looks great. Sounds like you'll have many more gigs with her.

Marshall

16. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I've seen them a few times, but can't quite figure it out. What exactly is the purpose of the "ramp?" I can make guesses, but want to be sure.

17. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    There's a good explanation in this (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218145&highlight=show+ramp) thread. I don't know exactly where though, but a quick skim should find your answer for you.
    -Alex

18. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Well, that's a good way to address the quandary between owning a Q5 or a Sadowsky. Nice. I think it's really cool that you found a way to breathe new life into an old friend like that. I hope you keep playing it for a long time. It's one of a kind now.