Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out Roger Giffin's headstock design re. improving Bstring tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jul 21, 2003.

1. http://www.giffinguitars.com/basses.htm

to increase the break angle of the B string over the nut he fits the machinehead sideways classical guitar-style, and the rest conventionally-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IIRC Riverhead had a hybrid classical/conventional stringing headstock on their 4 string basses in the 80's.

interesting idea- the tension in the string can't be any different though...

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's...uh... a headstock. Yep, that it surely is.

3. Basho

Basho Guest

Seems kind of inconvenient. Also ugly.

4. I too think its kinda ugly...
    But seriously, how much of a difference in tension can it really make?

5. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Not enough to get me to buy one... That's one ugly headstock:spit:

6. Don't know if that design really helps the B string's performance, but dang, that is freakin' ugly...

7. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Holey Shmoley!

8. Definately weird, and kind of ugly. Did any one else notice that the B string tuner isn't the same as the other tuners? Weird.:confused:

jtbp

9. I think they're all Hipshot ultralite tuners, but the B string tuner button isn't chromed like the others for some reason.

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i like the idea of it, but i don't know... seems like there are enough good basses with great B's out there already... is it worth the ugliness? are we that desperate?
    :p

11. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    It must be a bitch to change the string too.

12. how does it fit in a case... or gigbag???

PITA IMO

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Damn! Thats Ugly!!:eek: :spit: :bag:

Not a B string exists that needs help that bad.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Though, that blue bass of his isn't all that ugly...

15. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Its a gimmick. A string tree will do the same job. (If its even needed in the first place.)

16. That was my thought, too. I don't have a problem with the "B" on my basses and can't think of a well-designed bass that has a bad "B" (although some are better than others).

IMHO, when it comes to well defined tones on any string but particularly the "B" or "E" strings, it's more about the player than the bass.

Jeff

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    1. It does not increase the tension of the string. Science. Physics. Fact.
    2. It does increase the break angle. How this affects the tone is debatable.
    2a. The increased break angle will only affect the tone (if it does at all) when playing the open string.
    3. From the picture, it appears that the nut is slotted for the B string at an angle to be in line with the string extension with the tuner. This means that there is a very sharp break right at the leading edge of the nut. In the picture it appears to me that this has caused the string to take off in a curve as it goes past the nut towards the first fret. This can be remedied by "creasing" the string at the nut. If it is not fixed in this manner, this condition has been shown to produce intonation problems. (It usually happens at a bridge with a sharp break angle.)

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, why not just have a well made neck? you know, rigid and solid. that's enough for my basses to have a resounding "b".

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Pilotjones' first three points are what I was thinking too, when I saw the Giffin.

My main reason is that I had a Gibson EB3 in the early 70's where each string's tuner employed the same design as the Giffin B. And that bass was about as inarticulate and muddy as they come, (of course the electronics didn't help either).

[​IMG]

20. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize

But man, I LOVE that SG body style.