Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out the bass tone on this recording...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, May 6, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    It's Tom Barney playing Gaslighting Abbie.

Click here

This tone is it for me.

Does anyone have anything that comes close to this? Is it recording technique, eq?

I'd sell my left utnay to get this tone.

Searching the TB archives, it's been speculated that it might be an ESP J-1500.

....oh ya, I know it's in the hands.....

2. Not sure about getting that tone but it is nice and tight. Has a good focus quality to it. Goood luck!

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I gotta check again, but did Barney play on that track??
    I know Walter Becker played on almost the whole disc, but Barney did play on two tracks.
    Becker used a Sadowsky standard 4, slightly palm muted with a pick.
    I never wanted to use a pick full time more in my life until I heard that disc!! ;)
    The tone on "Lunch With Gina" kills as well. Well really the whole disc has killer bass tones on it.
    Steely Dan is known for massive-ly killer production, and "Everything Must Go" is a great example of it.
    Just the way the bass and the kick sit with one another is outstanding.
    I'll have to look in the morning to see if Tom Barney played on that one.
    I did a session not to long after that disc came out and the keyboard player (who's session it was, was a big Dan fan) asked if I could cop Beckers tone from that disc.
    I did and it was cool. Not saying I sounded exactly like it, but close enough to make him (and me) happy..

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    sounds very good,compressed bass

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ehh doesnt do it for me...

6. A lot of Everything Must Go (as well as Numerous Steely tracks) is the engineering skills and production technique of Elliot Scheiner.....this is a good example of really good recording technique and solid playing on a good instrument.....I like it myself and can get close to the same with my Sadowsky Vintage 4 into a Neve 1073 Preamp and an LA2A Compressor......

Peace,

T

7. It's definatly Tom Barney on bass and from what I've heard it sounds like his ESP J-1005 which is his favorite bass. And like said, a lot of that awesome sound comes from the great production that Steely Dan is known for.

I actually just recorded a clip of it a few days ago and posted it in the recordings section here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178663

That's as close as I've gotten to that tone. Close enough for me :D

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Tom Play's a J1005 ESP jazz bass, He endorses them. I was unable to reach him to ask about the recording.

9. I think Tom Barney plays's a musicman stingray 5 on that track

On the live-dvd I think he does

It's one of my favourite steely dan track's of all time

good groove, cord's and melody
    great lyric's
    and a fantastic Chris Potter sax solo

10. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    A couple of things. Some people here are getting confused between Everything Must Go (latest album) and Two Against Nature (2000 album, on which Gaslighting Abbie appears).

I'm fairly sure that Walter Becker played bass on the whole 2vN album. His four string Sadowsky, though I would question whether he's using a plectrum as someone said.

2vN is a TREMENDOUS album for jamming along to. Some great lines.

11. sorry, you are confused!

Walter Becker played all the bassparts on the Everything must Go-album
    On the '2 against Nature-album, he played all the parts, except on tracks: 1,3,8,9. On those tracks, it is the sound of Tom Barney.

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    At least on "EveryThing Must Go" he stated that he used a pick, on 2vN is anyones guess.

But thanks for clearing up that oversite on which disc it was on!

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Definetly a J of some sort.