Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out the flame on this Fender!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jul 4, 2004.

1. I've never really known exactly how these different things happen. Like, is flamed maple naturally occuring, or is it that act of doing something to maple to make it look like that. And does this hold true to all 'figured' tops. Is figuring natural, or man...did. :confused:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's how the grain is in the wood. As it grows, it swerves, I gess. That's where figured maple comes from

3. Yeah, it's natural, but it doesn't occur in all samples of wood. I don't know exactly how it occurs, but it's pretty nice. Mother nature is quite the artist. It's not very common to find a P bass like that, but a few pre-CBS offerings had them.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    from what I have been told the flamed or quilted part of the tree is at the bottom where years of added weight due to growth cause the wood to compress upon itself. When this happens there is a slight distortion in the grain wich causes the effect. the seemingly repeated pattern in the grain represents the growth each year.

5. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    is it just me or does that neck not look original? the decal looks wrong, and somehow looks to new for a 58. looks sweet though.

6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    The decal is all wrong alright

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Flame, quilted, etc. maple are all naturally occuring and are a result of compression. I for one would much rather have a neck made of quartersawn hard maple than a flamed one.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sorry. Just realized Seansbrew already answered the question. I lose.
    :crying:

9. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have to admit, looking at all of the pictures closely, it doesnt seem to look right.

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    quartersawn i also read this in sadowsky's site what is it exactly??????

11. Decal look good to me, looks just like this 58's...

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm curious as well.........were they even doing necks like that back in '58?? It looks a little too modern a finished neck for a year like that. IMO of course.

13. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Modern, not quite, all nice classical instruments have flamed necks. It does look somewhat fake to me, at least in that picture. Seems to lack a natural character.

14. It was refinished, according to this post on the Fender Forum:

"A friend of mine restored this bass, but is not the guy who's selling it. It is definitely a '58 Precision. The body had some abuse that he repaired and refinished Oly White. The neck is refinished and is one of those incredibly flamed ones that came along every once in a while in the pre-CBS era. Headstock logo is unoriginal. I believe that the pickups and pots are replaced. The pickguard is original, I think, but had finish stripped off of it and it almost looks like a reish. I took my original '58 over to visit when it was finished. I'm not sure what its worth but this bass is a killer player and sounds great."

The flame is part of the original wood, but the body was refinished and the decal is a replacement.

15. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    AAAHHHH HAAAA, I new the butler did it! :p