Check out the Ibanez SR500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickr, Jun 9, 2005.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Hello all, just thought I would share this with the bass world.
    Some of you know me, I have had coutless custom basses from the top names out there and I have loved them all. I was starting to think I was a bit of a bass snob.
    Anyway, I was returning an upright bass I had rented from Music & Arts just to check out and the fellow told me that I now a 10% off coupon and he was having a huge sale.
    I went over to the basses to see what they had. There were a few different low end basses on the wall and I picked up a few and immediately sat them back down. I then picked up the SR500 and started thumping on it, it played great so I pluged it in. It sounded great! Man, could this be right and incredible playing and sounding bass for under $500?
    I played for another 30 min and was convinced. I ended up paying $360.00 for the bass, unbelievable. It has the Mk1 Bartolini pups and preamp-5 piece bubinga/wenge neck and solid mahog body. Maybe I just got luck with this bass but man, Its is a INCREDIBLE value!
    Who Knew?
  2. Ibanez makes excellent gear and for some reason it just never gets the recognition that some other major crafters make. I do believe it has its own sound though and maybe thats what sets it apart. Build quality is top notch though. Good Luck!
  3. Hey, I'm about to buy the same bass from our Music and Arts center for $375. It's still not my Benavente, but it's great for the money. They have a real problem with scratching under the strings.

I'm probably going to bring up the fact that you got yours for $360 in NC. They also have the Boss TU-2 tuner for $69. I've had one ordered for a while.
  4. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I did get the extra 10% off because of the upright return.
    Maybe that is the difference.
  5. Ahh... good call. I talked them down to $375 with the "as is" label. But yeah... I almost bought that same bass for $500 in North Carolina last year before I bought my Benavente.
  6. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    you sure it wasnt an SRX500? i have an sr500 and it sure as heck doesnthave a 5 piece neck and has the ibanez afr pickups
  7. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    thejohnkim, Yep. It is an sr500. Maybe the new models have the upgrades. Pretty sure I saw one Identical to mine at
  8. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    It's an awesome value bass, very very comfortable and fast to play. The electronics/pickup package is good too, same as a Lakland Skyline. Not real Bartolini but still very good.