1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Check out the scroll on this ebay bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ole Jason, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 2052fdb4d5d7c9303a33cfdf4d7e7497.

6abfea8ac64e01c99c1a987b0473a757.

e028a4daa64727e62f133bb9aa61933a.

I love this company... they do so many off the wall instruments. I'm under no illusion about what this bass probably sounds like but it's pretty neat to see Chinese companies like this doing something different instead of copying the same old designs.

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Great woodworking - but luthiers need more than woodworking skills, how a bass looks and sounds are fairly independent.

3. Absolutely. I said the exact same thing above.

4. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I can appreciate the work that went into this detail but ornamentation like this drives up production costs and doesn't (IMHO) contribute to the functionality of a bass. I prefer function (playability, tone/sound, stability) over form when it comes to basses. I also think this detail isn't done done very well either. Is it supposed to represent leaves? The carving around the tuners is poor - it doesn't convey a particular design element like leaves, flowers etc. Kinda similar to this one...

Attached Files:

5. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Nothing exceeds like excess!

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Although.... some people do think that mass (whether in the scroll or tailpiece etc etc) has an effect on sound.... Otherwise, no comment!
    louis

7. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    That scroll alone would add about 5k to an american bass, haven't looked it up but my guess is you can have the whole bass for less then that. That being said, that neck pocket looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

8. It probably is!

This company makes a lot of quirky instruments. The other day I saw a 7-string gamba neck attached to a standard violin body. It was pure insanity, looked totally unplayable. A lot of times these guys get things about half-right and half-crazy. :)

On the other hand, they're one of the few affordable sources for a 5-string cello, gamba, or viola d'amore. I actually bought a gamba from them awhile back. It's far from historically accurate but the craftsmanship and sound is fine for what it is. When I was in school it was impossible to find a gamba under $3k. I guess the mid-century German instruments are a little more common nowadays with the prevalence of ebay and forums but I still like seeing these oddball instruments produced at prices low enough to encourage the novice to experiment.