Check out these 12 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob Martinez, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Go to www.12stringbass.net and check out the First Act 12ver in pellum blue, looks kind of like a Thunderbird 12 string bass.

Also, scroll down and check out the Rickenbacker copy 12 string bass from Russia!

I love my Waterstones, but those do look interesting!

2. that Rick copy is kinda cool....but I would never buy one

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Cool site. I dont think I will ever buy anything over a 5 string, but it looks sweet. I really like the body of that First Act.

Just not my thing.

4. I find the idea of this almost sexually attractive!!
    One for John Hall and the boys to add to the catalog in the future?

A 12 string bass can sound immense and not at all muddy.
    I have two of the things - both Hamers.

However, I wish Shamray had come up with another of their own design, and
    not just gone for the classic Ric appearance. Daft looking headstock and the
    TRC is just plain daft, too.

There are millions of new shapes to dream up, like their 'Sledgehammer' 15 string
    bass - see the bottom of the page at http://www.12stringbass.net/Shamray.htm .
    Impressive.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That blue 12-string looks cool but damn, playing that thing would be like trying to pick your way through a coil of chicken wire.

And methinks the 3 pickups, 6 knobs and two toggles are a bit over the top.

6. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I concur, though I think having 12 strings on a bass is over the top, that being the point.

I am sticking with my Waterstones, but wouldn't mind having a go on both of those 12vers.

That Rick copy headstock looks like a boat!

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I can't even imagine trying to fret that much steel with my short skinny fingers. But props to the folks who give it a go and can make it work!

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Playing a 12ver isn't as difficult as one might think. You have to alter your technique a bit, but they're very playable.

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    where is the rick copy one. i didn't see it.

10. Tom Petersen does a good job on a 12

11. Whilest this thread is open, anyone sell a 12 string bridge? I wouldn't mind getting some sort of boutique 12er. I could always get Hamer custom, but I'd think the local dealer would bend me over on something like that.

12. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That First Act 12ver is to die for. I wish I knew how much it costs, I searched their website and found nothing about the price. It's a custom shop piece though, so I'd imagine it's very expensive.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021