Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out these pics I drew.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killdar, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ok, I think it is bout time I posted these, some pictures I drew lately of some interesting bass designs. I just got them all scanned and resized. Not sure how well the basses would work if ever built, but you never know. The drawings aren't perfect, especially the heads, but they are close enough.

[​IMG]

#1: this is the 4 string single-necked version of #8, which I drew yesterday. The doubleneck I drew maybe a month before or so.

#2: this is a much neater remake of a picture I drew in history class.....yeah, I get bored. I wanted a bass that had full access to every inch of the fingerboard, and where the body was reduced to a couple of long horns. I have another one similar to this, but the shape isn't as good.

#3: the headless version of #2, and I connected the horn to the neck. No particular reason, but it's just another design.

#4: A more typical shape, and I wanted to make a single cutaway that was very symmetrical, and I accompished this. The pickup is what I call....dun dun DUNNN!! the MOTHERBUCKER....10 coils, which can work all at once, or split into groups of 2, or one out of every 2.

#5: an alternate body for the headed version, but I don't know if I like the look of the upper horn....but I had to make it that way to preserve the overall outline a bit more. Maybe I will change it.

#6: the headless version of #4, with a symmetrical double cutaway body, and I figger the balance wouldn't be too bad since there is no head.

#7: something I drew before I made #3, and actually wasn't an inspiration for 3, but whatever. The shape seems to work well, and regular strings can be used, but without compromising the body shape.

#8: the doubleneck, 12 string/8 string. I came up with this shape to keep the size relatively compact, but has lots of curves, and generally aesthetically pleasing. There are 2 upper strap buttons, to allow easy playing on the lower neck.

Ya, so Everyone please give me your honest opinions on these, and any other comments you may have :)

2. i think they look good for the most part, though the heads should be a little bit larger to keep proportions with the rest.

Very innovative ideas!

You seem to be a talented artist.

...I seem to draw most of my basses in Chemistry class :D

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    hmm....never really thought about the size....I have always sucked when it comes to proportions compared to real life.....oh well, its the shape that counts. If I ever had one of these made, the size would come out right.

4. cool drawings, i Like the motherbucker idea:)

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Are you sleeping well latelly??????

just kidding........ I like #6 WITH HEADSTOCK. :cool:

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    have you tried sketching any of these out on cardboard, life-size? Might give you a better idea of what you're working with.

7. Sorry man, Motherbucker infringes on a Mighty Mite copyright, A three coil humbucker. I'd call it the "Holy Shi* that's one loud SOB!"

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I don't have any cardboard big enough....heh..good idea though. if I ever find any I will be sure to do that.

thanks for the positive comments so far!

if I don't ever make it as a plyer I can at least design and build prototype basses.....something to do in my free time.....yay, a backup plan!

and btw...I am sleeping well.....for like only 5 and a half or so hours on weekdays tho.. :meh: and now I have a cold, so subtract coughing, sneezing, and stuffy nose time, im thinkin a lot less sleepage tonight... ack! :(

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, some of these designs are really cool. very nice. i second xush's suggestion - you should draw these out on some posterboard lifesized and see what you've got.

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    lol...."this bass is equipped with the "Holy Sh*t that's one loud SOB!" humbucker"....heh....so what is the mighty mite one called? motherbucker also? because I just came up with that in my head when I came up with the design in math....well, I can always call it the UncleBucker! lol.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or Son of a Bucker?

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think #6 is pretty rockin'. :)

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    #4 is pretty sweet, IMO. I like the doubleneck too. Good job!:)

14. #8 definitely rocks!

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Put 8 strings (F# to high F) on #4 and call it..

"The Compensator"

I'll buy one!!!

:D

16. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The ones I could live with it are 4 and 6. #4 would need a bigger headstock, and a more offset body. #1, looks kind of neat, but 2 and 3 looks like someone thaught Wishnewsky how to a draw a straight line! ;)

17. I like all of them. I really like # 3 but with this kind of headstock...where do I place my order:D

18. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Those are pretty cool. 4 and 5 are my favorites.

19. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I actually came up with the designs for 2 and 3 before I saw many wishys. same with 7. I just knew someone would bring up that comparison.....

I have a little bit of that wishy eccentricity, but without the huge design flaws, and hopefully none of the bad craftsmanship.

heheh....if I ever commercially make these things, you'll be on the top o the list! :D

and that would be my 8 string tuning of choice for all the 8s unless otherwise requested.

lol! whatever floats yer boat :p