Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

check out this beuty

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by olps, Aug 5, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Largest of the viola de gamba family, tuned an octave lower than a bass viol (D G C E A D). 17th century too.
    Amazing.:eek:

2. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Holy Cow!!! That's a whole lotta bass...:eek: :eek:

3. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Six strings and fretted: must be on the wrong side of the board... go back to the tabs.:D

4. That's the viol family's doublebass. It's not tuned an octave lower than the doublebass we play.

A bass viol is the viol family's counterpart to the 'cello.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    The double bass is sometimes improperly called the "bass viol", which actually is the bass viola da gamba. Hence some frequent konfuzion.:rolleyes:

6. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I didn't mean that it's tuned an octave lower than todays double bass.

7. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Am I the only one G.A.S.ing like there's no tomorow for this baby? Unfortunately the likely hood of me even getting within sight of this thing is miniscule.

8. Looks painfull.
    I can hear her wrist now.

9. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Has John Turner seen this one?

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    very cool pic. thanks for the heads up samuel and rablack. i wonder if they come in 7 string versions? ;)

11. pea

pea

Aug 10, 2002
    south west england
    either she is vertically challenged, or that thing is pretty big!! would make a great mobile home though, stick some hinges on it and a yale lock, a cat flap and your laughing.