Check out this custom design.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pugz, Dec 19, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

I created this in Flash MX. The body is based off a Ritter Roya bass except I couldn't capture the depth of the bass so it looks a little flat but just looking to see peoples opinions on it.

Materials are:
    -Swamp Ash Body
    -Maple (Neck thru)
    -Koa wood top
    -Ebony Laminate lines on neck-thru block
    -Brazilian Rosewood Fret Board
  2. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    I immediately thought Carl Thompson.
  3. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I really like it. But i hate to burst your's not a true custom if you didn't design it.
    Are you going to build it or have someone build it or did you just do it for fun?
  4. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I think it needs to go on a diet. A bit chubby in the hips. Try jumping jacks :hyper:
  5. What do I think? I think it looks like a Ritter. Grab an eraser. ;)
  6. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Design it? It is based on a Ritter. But it's not quite the same.
    Aren't all bass designs based on the earlier ones?
    I'd say that almost all designs (basses, chairs, toothbrushes, wheels, et cetra) are based on earlier designs. Where should we put the limit, then?
    Example: Here's the team that designed the new Nissan Primera. Or did they? After all, it is based on the previous model....

Just trying to provoke. :)

Nice bass design. I can dig it. It might slip off my lap, if I were to play it seated, though. And I'd might want to have the bridge pickup closer to the bridge (matter of preference).
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    "Based" off the Ritter Roya??? Looks like an exact copy to me...

Vanilla Ice:

"No, it's not the same..."
  8. [​IMG]

nah, this one goes "dun dun dun dun-dun-dun-duh chck"

well, personally, they look identical to me, but maybe you wouldn't mind explaining the difference?
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think it needs a bit more of it's own identity. I just see a Ritter...
  10. Yes it is identical to the Ritter :p I really like the design on the Ritter. I'm very picky with the designs I like so making a custom could be very difficult.

Only the shape is copied out of all of it. I'd get me some barts on it and an onboard bart pre-amp.

And yes I am making designs for a custom i want to have built. :)
  11. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Then why not just get a Ritter?

I understand that you like the design of it, but at the same time you're asking a luthier to rip off the design of another luthier...

Play around with the shape a bit, you might find something you can tweak that you'll like even more, and give it your own personal flair.
  12. Not my particular cup of beverage, but I respect the fact that you've taken the time to desgin something that you want. It's never as easy as you think it's gonna be !! I can't even decide on how many strings to have !! If you love it, then who cares....!!!
  13. its true...most luthiers (at least the ones with ethics) won't rip off a design...they like their own better! ;)
    that being said, maybe you could try wishbass?
  14. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    You draw the line when the design is a copy of a former. Don't take this rudely, just making conversation.
  15. "no no no...mine has an extra ping in it" :D
  16. I am not sure what the Primera is a copy of, but at the same time, isn't the nissan a copy of an older nissan?

I think there would be a lawsuit if nissan ever makes an exact copy of the hummer, only with different size tires (so it wouldn't be exact, it'd be an original design :))
  17. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Perhaps the car is called Primera only in Europe... for all I know.

My point was that if "design" can be seperated from "copy", the borders between are thin and difficult to find. How much change is needed for a bass to not be a "copy" of another "design"? If we take the Ritter Roya body shape, and change the headstock to something between a Spector and a Warwick, then it can't be a copy of a Ritter, can it? Or, is it then a copy both of a Ritter and of a Warwick/Spector?

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is like when Stuttering John quit Howard Stern to go to the Tonight Show, and Howard accused Jay of stealing all Howard's and Dave Letterman's bits like having a goofy guy ask celebrities dumb questions and asking people on the street common sense questions to see how stupid they are. And Jay denied stealing them, even though it's clear to everyone who listens to Howard that he did.