1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Check out this design I made

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wdinc01, May 11, 2006.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    So I was in math class, and instead of actually doing my work, I decided to draw up a body design for a bass. I've always wanted to be a luthier and maybe make custom basses, but I figure I'd need a special kind of design to make it stand out. Most of the ones I drew ended up looked like a P-bass or a Spector. But then I thought about what kind of designs I like and what appeals to me. I ended up with a kind of Telecaster/Rickenbacker mix.

[​IMG]

That's like a rough sketch. Keep in mind, I'm not a very good drawer. But I think it gives you the basic idea. And the head is a design I'm thinking about, but I might change it.

Basically I was looking at like a humbucker (I figured I might wind them myself), although it might be a custom kind of thing. I wanna get a hot tone out of it. As for the knobs, there's the obvious volume and tone, but I havn't decided what the third would be (I just sorta put it there). So that's about it. Any other questions, or any ways to improve my design, I'm open for them.

But I wanna try building a prototype this weekend, or at least over the summer. I wanted to get a single thing of wood (I don't care what kind of wood), but I might end up having to glue two pieces together, which I didn't really wanna do. Then again, it'd be the prototype...

P.S. Forgive the quality. I drew it on paper, then took a picture with a digital camera. I don't have a scanner. And the lighting in my house sucks really badly. I think my bedroom might be a better place for a picture (other than my bathroom), but really everywhere else is poor lighting.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yeah, I guess you need to work on your drawing skills before tracing this to wood...

I don't like headstocks, but I give you the innovativity points here. Makes me think, and I like such things.
    Perhaps you should try to alter it in order to keep the intent, but remove the string tree. I.e. to keep the string as straight as possible, while retaining the "void" and the "weird" tuner placement....:meh:

3. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    If you have the oppertunity of drawing your design in some kind of CAD program, or maybe some kind of photoshop program, I would strongly advise you to do so,..
    I draw all of my designs in CAD, so I print em scaled 1:1..

+ 1 For the headstock thing, keep it simple..

It's a good thing you're building a prototype though, this way you can still change some things you might not like, without the risk of have to throw away some expensive wood..

Good luck! :)

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks guys. I probably won't put a string tree there, since I don't wanna worry about one. I just realized that when I drew it the line with at an angle, so I figured I should put one there to explain it. But yeah, I'll definately try to not put a string tree there.

And as for my drawing...well I'm sure I can beg one of my more talented friends to draw it for me. Unless someone on here would like to get it a shot...

Edit: And yeah I'll probably try working on the headstock. I may end up making it more squarish, although I do like the design I made. I'm sure it looks like that, again, because of my drawing skills.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Reminds me of a Les Paul type. +1 on the AtouCad. It'll help you out with the curves and stuff!

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    DON'T! Sorry, didn't mean to scream...
    The good thing, the creative touch, of that headstock is the non-straightness of the contours, and the tuner placement. The bad thing is that the strings are too bent.

My take: keep the intentions of the design and find a way to keep that, but with straighter strings.

I'm confident that it is quite possible to do so, and successfully, too!

And another +1 on CAD. Not that it is necessary, but it simplifies a lot. At least for us with less drawing talent:D

7. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Okay, since I'm a nice guy:
    I made you some quick autocad designs.. The first is basicly your own design with some minor adjustments..
    Now the second one is still your design but with some big changes, but it's just a suggestion..
    Of course this is a JPG file, if you have autocad yourself I can send you the DWG file aswel..
    I didn't know how big you wanted the body to be compared to the the neck, so that's just a luck guess, I guess..

[​IMG]

They're not the greatest quality aswell, but it's the best I can do for you right now since I'm at work at this moment..
    I hope I was able to help you with this :)

8. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Giel, you're so awesome! I really appreciate the drawings.

And I'll look into getting AutoCAD, although probably when I actually get around to getting started on this project. I had a bit of a busy weekend, so I couldn't have done it. But summer's coming up, and I've got little to do, so hopefully I'll have a working one by the time I go back to school (which is like August 7th...). But yeah, thanks for all of your help and support everyone. The headstock is definately gonna stay the same.

9. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    No problem!
    And the autocad basics aren't hard at all..
    I would keep the headstock yeah, though it should be slightly bigger than on the design I made..
    And if you need any help or advice on bass building or autocad, don't hesitate to ask..
    And keep your process posted! :)

10. seventai

seventai

May 9, 2006
    it kinda reminds me of an anteater. pretty unique headstock.

[​IMG]

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hahaha. I might call it the Anteater then...

But I just realized something: I have no place to put a shop. I don't have a very big back yard, so I can't build one there (plus...well I kinda wanna spend more time/money/wood on building this bass and not a shack to build guitars in...), I'm very sure my parents won't let me use the spare bedroom, and my father just takes pride in knowing that, while he does store things in it, he's able to keep our cars in the garage. Maybe I'll have to do this on the weekends, since I don't really wanna try it when no one's home in case I cut something vital off (we definately don't want that to happen). Oh well. When the time comes, I'm sure things'll work out, especially if I plan to let people order these (maybe not for awhile, but hopefully soon enough to put me through college).

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out how to wind the pick ups. I wanna keep this thing passive, but I wanna get a hot tone out of it. Buit again, when the time comes, I might just throw around some ideas until I get something I like. Time consuming, yes, but if I'm winding them myself then it'll be a lot cheaper, since I'll probably get the stuff at Radio Shack (unless someone can tell me a reason not to).

But again, thanks for the support everyone.

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Cute, Giel. But you missed out on the most interesting part of the headstock: the 3+1 arrangement, that opens for a more pronounced shape of the stock. This can be improved towards the originality of the original!

13. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Yeah you're right! My mistake..
    How 'bout this:

[​IMG]

I also added the design for the bass that I'm currently buidling to the pic..Your body will be fairly big but I think it shouldn't be much bigger than this.. Your strap will be at the 13th fret, so I don't think you'll be having much balance issues..
    Hope you like it this way.. I know I'm starting to dig it :)

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Headstock reminds me of a violin head seen from the side-- like the Fender idea. Or like a Warwick/Status Buzzard crossed with these that David King made:
    zak.
    bill.
    roc120-1k.
    paul.
    fbass.

15. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Dang! They stole my head stock! They went into the future and looked at my design and STOLE my headstock!!!

But I dunno if I'll have it as a 3+1 or just 4, depends on whatever's easier. I know if I make a five string (IF, since I don't actually play five strings), then it'll definately be 4+1. But whatever. When the time comes.

And funky bass you got there, Giel. I dunno if I'd actually wanna put that many pick ups in the body, but I support you doing it! I'm just lazy.

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Better, Giel. But, wdinc, I think I see a curve on the contour by the 3 in line tuners in your original, where Giel has a straight line. That is still rather unique, in combination with the snailhouse and the lower 'cavity'. Keep visualizing!

17. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if there is a curve in there. Really, I didn't get a ruler or anything to make sure everything's straight. Just drew it so I can show it to you all.

Anyway, update: Friday I talked to someone at Guitar Center about the type of woods to use, how thick I should make it, etc. It sorta pained him when I told him I was gonna paint it, after he gave me some advice about getting one piece of wood and cutting it in half then glueing it back together so the grains matched and stuff.

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe to make the first one out of maple in a natural finish, like a Mapleglo RIC. I dunno if I'll have it neck-thru. I think it'll be easier to do a bolt on. But first I'm gonna have to make full scale plans. So if someone wants to give me advice on how to get the wood, how to cut it, etc., please let me know.

Before I start on this project, though, I think I'm gonna restore my brother's old Strat knock off. Really the only thing wrong with it was one of the wires for the input jack coming off, but I figure this would be a great oppurtunity to figure out electronics. I wanna make some pick ups for it too, so give me some practice with those. When I need more help with it, I'll ask here and maybe a guitar/guitar-luthier forum.

I can say I'm really excited about wanting to make this. I think I'll put a binding around the body. How hard would that be? Also, I called up a local place that sells wood. I don't think they had wood as thick as I wanted (I think the guy said they didn't have anything over an inch). I'm not sure if it'll be smart to glue two pieces onto of each other, unless I wanted to put something like a curl maple top on it (since basically all they had was different types of maple when I asked out of maple, basswood, and alder). Or maybe I'll order a board off the internet. I might run over there and check out what they have.

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow. yes, there are some people at some GCs that are knowledgeable, but for the most part you may as well ask a supermarket clerk.
    Great! Excitement, combined with preparation and study, goes a long way.
    Try woodfinder.com to get local hardwood yards, you might be able to find at least maple and cherry up to 8/4.