Check out this for sale ad on a Roscoe 6.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This is from

Category: Basses
    Condition: Brand New
    Asking Price: $2,200

I've never seen one like this in a store, only direct from Keith B. Roscoe,

December 2001, Dark Blue Roscoe SKB 3006, 6 string bass.

Spanish Cedar Body Exhibition Burl Maple top,

Maple purpleheart maple neck with Spalt purpleheart sapwood board

3 way Barts.

This bass lives up to the Roscoe quality and attention to detail reputation, that Roscoe's are known for (Jan, 1997 Bass Player Mag, 5 string shoot out)

I ordered this direct from Keith Roscoe, waited 7 months, I paid $2,500, $150 more direct then if I'd brought the bass from Bass N.W.

The headstock does not match the top in wood or color.

The finish has rub thru's on the body that have been clear coated
    over, guess Keith hires the handicapped because you'd have to be blind to miss em.
    I sent it back once and Keith said he fixed em. Keith says he'll fix em right if I give him another $150.00, and if I don't like it "I should sell it on EBay"
    Next stop EBay!

There is an intermittent short at the jack, maybe it will work maybe it won't.

The bass plays and sounds great when it's working, if you need a handyman special high end brand new bass project this could be your ticket (I'm so bummed out about it I leave it in the case and never play it)

Will consider trades as long as they are not Roscoe's.
  2. Hey 'Chuck, I remember reading this guy's review of the bass at Harmony Central. Lemme see if I can dig it up; obviously he was not very happy with how it turned out.
  3. The second review on this page:

4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  5. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    All that tells me is that the guy who bought it doesn't seem too bright to me. He thinks high end basses are the same as Korean Hamers just with exotic wood? I thought a 6 string Roscoe was more than $2400 to begin with, but he says he bought it direct (which generally means no discount) and had like $300 worth of upcharge work done??? He's bought 5 Roscoes direct and Keith treats the guy like crap....everyone I know who's dealt with him says he's an ok guy and I don't know why he would act like this for an obvious repeat customer. He says he offered to send the wood for a matching headstock (after the bass was completed) and offered to PAY to have it done....then in the next sentence he's mad because Keith said it would cost $150 to do it. Um, I thought he said he was willing to pay for it so how is he mad that he was gonna have to pay for it? He's bought 10 Roscoes but can't affoard to pay someone $30 to fix the input jack? Also, in the ad he says that hte problems with the bass's finish were on the body and weren't fixed but then in the review he says that the $150 charge was for the matching headstock and that the problems with the body were fixed.

Sounds like a big crock of **** to me.
  6. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Also....if high end basses are no better than Korean Spectors and Hamers etc. then why has the guy bought 10 Roscoes and currently has 5?
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned a wonderful Roscoe SKB3007 for a couple of years and have had zero issues with it; it's a great instrument and it has, without question, the finest, deepest B string I've ever heard. I've never had a service issue but I've corresponded and spoke with Keith several times and he treated me with respect and courtesy.

I'm with bassmanjones here. I don't buy this ridiculous quoted scenario for minute.
  8. I have read this guys review at somwhere other than Harmony Central and that review had a few differences that make me think that this guy isn't telling the whole truth. I think there is some other reason that this guy is pissed. IMO.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Some Roscoes do have fit & finish issues that you shouldn't see in a bass in their price range, but this is the first time that I have ever heard a gripe with Keith's customer service.

I also find it very hard to believe that he would treat a multiple repeat customer that poorly. If he really does, then indeed shame on the buyer for going back for more abuse.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've seen some that are perfect, and some that aren't. None that are that bad though! Mine, for example, has some finish settling in the wood (not the luthiers fault) and not a perfect neck joint (the luthiers fault) which luckily does not affect the sound or playability at all.

The one thing I know, though, is that with the reputation, I wouldn't buy one without playing it first. Unnecessary, maybe, but with all the stories, who knows. I certainly do love the sound enough to buy another.
  11. Pix52

Dec 11, 2001
    I'm the guy complaining about Keith Roscoe's customer service and quality.

I was at Bass Central the other day and they had 5 impecable Roscoes, when I go to other stores and see Roscoes they are flawless.

I have owned 10 Roscoes, some better then others.

I dig the styling and sound. They are represented as being high end hand made basses.

Keith Roscoe has sent me 3 basses at different times and I gaurantee that the quality problems these basses have will not be found in the basses he sends to stores.

This last bass I sent pix's of what his work was in the past and what I wanted him to build me and send me, everything is that aw shucks good ol boy OK man send me the dough. When you send the dough the fact is you get not what you want but what Keith feels like sending...afterall he's got your dough what does he care? I've got the e mail records of this whole deal if you don't believe me. The point is don't order direct,, if you want a Roscoe buy a completed bass from a dealer or better yet buy used same sound, over half the dough saved.