1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Check out this G&L Wunkay 1980

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Siri, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi everyone, I'm interested in this bass and would like your opinions. On Gbase; 1980 G&L L1000 Refinished Ash body, maple neck. Schaller tuners. Slot pole. Original case. $895 plus shipping.

I have been looking for Wunkays on TB, ebay, and found this on gbase. I emailed the seller with some questions on condition, asked for dates of the body and neck, and etc. Waiting for a response.

I am concerned about the refinish detracting from it's value. Also, the headstock decal states L1000 series E. From my research only the L2000 was made in series E; active with preamp. Possibly a misprinted label was used?

Give me your opinions, Thanks, Dan

Willie's American Guitars - Basses - 1980 G&L L-1000

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i got an all original '81 with original case for $700 last year, and it was a lefty too. $900+ for a refin is too much to me.

3. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    I played it last saturday, 1-7. Don't know what's up with the "E" series; I didn't think it was right either. Seemed to have ?/?/ OMG bass boost and not the passive/active/active with treble boost of the modern active 3 -way mini toggle. That said, it was a nice player & sounded good.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    the 3-way switch is humbucking/single-coil/single-coil with bass boost.

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For a refin, yes, but L1000's are officially on the rise. The last Wunkay I was watching on the bay went for almost 9 bills. You can still find them for cheap though.

If you are really looking for a Wunkay, I'd keep looking. They are popping up pretty often.

6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    you and I were talking about this a few weeks ago. your speculation on wunkays is proving to be a reality.

7. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Ah-hah! That 'splains it. Not what I'm used to from L2k's.

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $900 is WAY too much for a refinished L-1000. As far as I know, there was no L-1000 "E Series". (Note that there's no battery compartment on the back of the body). I wouldn't touch this bass with a 10 ft. pole. If you've got $900 to spend, wait and you'll find another L-1000 of a similar vintage that hasn't got issues.

9. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Now is the time to start picking up the vintage G&L's! I think in a few years they will be worth quite a bit more! I want an L1K so bad. I bought an SX a couple weeks back and my intention is to shape the P route into a route large enough to fit a G&L Humbucker. Sort of a poor mans Wunkay:D

10. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info. I agree it's too much for a refin so I will bargain with them. I watched an auction on ebay last week. A black body/ maple neck early 80's wunkay sold for about $615. Finish heavily cracked, rust, etc. I just have to have a natural finish and will wait for "The One"

Themarshall, I was glad to hear that you had played it and it sounded good. That's what I really need to know. The frustration of buying what you can't play first.

That series E is a mystery.

11. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    been thinkin about a warmoth build ala' wunkay. a '54 p body in mahogony, tobacco burst finish, maple p neck with ebony fretboard, vintage frets, hipshot vintage bridge, and an MFD pickup in the sweet spot. kind of a tribute/clone of my wunkay.

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'd say it's less of a mystery and more of a problem. The E Series didn't come out until 1981, and it never came out on an L-1000. If this bass had a battery compartment on the back, I'd wonder if it were a prototype. But it doesn't. It's been refinished, and the headstock decal has an odd wear pattern. I'd say someone swapped the neck and tampered with the decal.

13. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Awesome! I will be re-fretting the SX with the vintage wire as well. I need a couple more tools, but it should be done in a few months. I just have to figure out how I'm going to wire it.

14. a) Price is too high for a refin.

b) As the bass has been refinned, the decal has likely been messed with as well. I've never heard of a L-1000 series e, and I've been playing G&L's since Day 1.

I'd def pass on this one, wait for a good example for the $900.

15. digi

digi

Jun 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I've been looking for a lefty L1000 forever :(
    Does it have a maple fretboard?

16. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    nah, it's an ebony boarded HOG. the neck is pretty killer. wide like an old precision, but thin/shallow profile. really easy to play.

17. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    it's on the drawing board of potential warmoth projects. but it'll probably stay there as i'm pretty lazy and would rather just spend the money on a new US G&L. after playing your L-1505 and a few squiers with vintage fret wire, i'm really digging the way the basses play with it. i plan on ordering a new G&L this year and having vintage frets on it. if i go with either the L2K or L-2500 it'll have the k-wiring and be finished in trans red over swamp ash. i'm such a sucker for red basses.

18. On a related note, but not answering the OP very much at all...

For those that enjoy the L1000, Have you tried a Peavey T-45? I've played a few L1000, and they've always been out of my price range. But, a few years ago i found a cheap(ish) T-45. I was VERY happy with a Peavey T-45, when compared to the L1000.

I know the T-series is on the ever-increasing price sway, and the T-45 is the rarest of the three. But, i'm sure it'd still be cheaper than the L1000.

Apples or Oranges? How about a Banana?

19. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    never played a t-45, or even seen one in person. just had to google it and see what the controls all do. very interesting concept, much like the L1K. while i cant compare the two, i really like the tonal flexibility of my L1K. the tones available are like a greatest hits of bass tones, IMHO.

20. Siri

Siri

Sep 26, 2006
    Portland, Oregon
    Originally posted by SMCD; I'd say it's less of a mystery and more of a problem. The E Series didn't come out until 1981, and it never came out on an L-1000. If this bass had a battery compartment on the back, I'd wonder if it were a prototype. But it doesn't. It's been refinished, and the headstock decal has an odd wear pattern. I'd say someone swapped the neck and tampered with the decal.

Yeah, that's what I thought. A parts bass with swapped neck. And someone got creative with the headstock decal during the refinish.

I ran this by our fearless moderator, Chef. He said that the bridge serial number is mid 1981. Pickup is 1981. Schaller tuners were stock in 1980. Wrong strap buttons. Nut has been replaced. And there was never a L1K series E.

I'm waiting for their reply to my email for neck dates and etc, but likely will keep looking. Spend your time before you spend you money. Thanks, Dan