check out this Korean hand made bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by minjo82, May 19, 2004.

1. [​IMG]
    this is the top used to make that bass....

bubinga burl top + ash body
    bubinga + maple neck
    cocobolo fingerboard
    tesla custom made passive pups...

they're called the MU Bass which is actually pronounced sorta like moo bass... roughly translated it means military affairs or millitary arts.... it's hard to explain but it means a lot more than that... it's a philosophical term in korea... sorta like the ying yang

neways.. i visited the guy's workshop and had a chance to play pretty much all of the basses he had.. and the only thing i can say is that.. korean basses have come very far... i love the original design and the tesla custom pups really let the basses growl.... never knew passive pups could make such loud 'in your face' kinda tones... the tension on the b string is nearly perfect and even when i lowered the B string to somewhere around A the sound coming out was unbelievable... the prices range from around 1000-1800usd..
    well worth the price imo... and i'd probably buy one if my heart wasn't set on the 81 gold jazz bass i saw a few days earlier....

just posting this for anyone who might find this interesting..i blame my lack of vocabulary for not being able to give u an idea as to how they really sound.
  2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I like the looks of that bass a lot. Sadly the treble side horn is bound to break or stab someone... or possibly a combination of the two that would result in an embarassing hospital visit.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I really dig that.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What's that little point sticking out from the side of the fingerboard around the 20th fret? That would make the bass completely unusable IMO. Other than that it looks pretty cool.
  6. that bass was custom made for some dude who wanted to reach the higher frets without having to look on the fret board... all the other models don't have that...

7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hurts, yes it hurts, oh it hurts.... :help:

Or rather, you need a wall between yourself and that bass body, just to survive the gig... :bag:
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its the stand.
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Nice wood and all, but it gets my vote for the most akward looking bass of 2004.
  10. Elcheb

May 19, 2004
    Paris - France
    I really love the Logo in the head of the instrument, very original...

Hum... You said "they're called the MU Bass which is actually pronounced sorta like moo bass... roughly translated it means military affairs or millitary arts"

That's not a surprise when you have a look at the side horn, looks like a big big knife :ninja:
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I really like it, especially if you took out the concave cut by the controls and rounded it off. Then it would look something like a cross between an MPG and a Tung.
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
  13. It's ok, but I'll go out and say it's nothing more than a design excerscise. Different aproach to the same end.

I don't see any advancements here, just an excuse to have a wierd shape...more a cater to fashion than function.
  14. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it looks very slick, and all you people worrying about it killing someone, stop being big wusses. Honestly what are the odds that you'll stab someone, I don't know about you guys but all I hit with my bass is ceilings and walls. I'm interesting in them, anyone happen to know the companie's website? If they have one. There's nothing wrong with a sexy bass people, i'm willing to give up a little praticality to get a really good looking bass, and I think these basses look great.
  15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never seen anything quit like that before, cheers to the builder.
  17. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Great wood and tuners rawk, that pointy section on the neck sucks tough, besides that its nice :bassist:
  18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I was just going to say as well, it looks like a Tung in some aspects. Cool bass, I really like the second one.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bloom County + Obscure bass reference = triple word score.