1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check Out This Rickenbacker Enhanced Design - Don't Mind The Chicks Who Can't Dance!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, May 9, 2010.

1. Yea..., :bassist:

Don't Mind The Chicks Who Can't Dance! 1:04 - 1:11 :rolleyes:

That's quite the neck pickup cover Jim Lee has guarding his pup! :p

Looks like Jim had the Squire color long before old Chris did!

2. I'm thinking the acid was juuust about to kick in hard. :ninja:

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I watched part of the video.

I demand compensation.

5. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Nashville
    Watch it more carefully........that's not a Rick.

6. Korladis

You now owe me triple. I'm suing for mental anguish. I will also never have those minutes of my life back.

7. I agree. I don't believe it is either. The headstock looks elongated and the body looks wrong.

8. Korladis

You're right. Bridge is much too far towards the neck.

9. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    definitely no Rick, somebody's homebrew, based on a Rick...
    the headstock is angled and not flat
    body shape is lightened
    bridge is not a Rick bridge
    different pickups

... but thanks for the clip, I loved them when I was a kid :cool:

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

The bass is a Ric 'copy' made by John Birch. One of the guys that used to roadie for my band back in the 70's and early 80's used to have a black one that I used to use as a spare to my 4001.

I say 'copy' because John Birch was a fine maker and in many respects the bass I played took the Ric concept and improved on it. The headstock was angled back more (as you can see from the video) and it was still a neck-through but the neck body joint was carved into a concave dished shape on the back of the bass running from the top to the bottom horns - it was so comfy it just melted away, and of course the bridge worked better. It was a 32" medium scale and had the lowest action of any bass I've ever played. I tried to get him to sell it to me but he never would.

In terms of a calling it a 'copy', that's a bit harsh because it implies a cheap homebrew or 'knock-off', whereas I would say that the Birch was, in it's day, what a Sadowsky is to a Fender

Jim Lee's bass has a different pup config to the one I used to play. I hated Slade at the time, and still don't care for them even with nostalgia goggles on, but since Dave Hill was in all the music mags of the time extolling the virtues of the variously wacky shaped guitars that he had made by John Birch , I'd be amazed if Jim Lee's bass was anything other than a Birch.

EDIT: After watching the vid for more than 30 seconds and the pup config is exactly like 'my' John Birch except for the stoopid pup cover that 'mine' didn't have

11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    If you had to dance to a badly pantomimed and lip synced performance you'd probably not be that into it either. :D

PS: Those are some friggin chops.

13. Noddy Holder's voice was (and still is) fantastic. John Lennon always said Noddy's voice was one of his favourites - high endorsement indeed.

Mamma We're All Crazee Now

14. That chick in the blue looks like she was thinking more about her maths homework.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Or just kicking in. She could have been sprawled across the floor while licking it a frame later...

16. That's pretty good information. I appreciate the detail. JB sounds like the Mike Lull of today in a way.

After looking again I see how far back the headstock is angled!!! 0:29-0:35. JB knew what he was doing!! It looks just like my Gibson Thunderbird. Indeed a nice improvement that Rickenbacker has just recently started to copy. In another 20 years it'll be where it should be!!! Ric takes a long time to implement the type of things other leading guitar builders have done for years.

I wonder why Jim didn't use it more in recorded performances? This was the first and only time I ever saw him with that bass. It belongs in a Hard Rock Cafe!! ;)

I wonder if that was one of the first basses made based on the Rickenbacker profile/design?

Do you know if it was made with maple? Do you have any other info or history about the bass? Love to know more about it and where it is today.

17. Probably Pythagorean or even the Central Limit Theory. But that's all right. She was there watching/listening to Slade. :cool:

Just think, she's probably a grandmother today. :eek: :smug:

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Yep not even close. pretty much everything is wrong on that rickenfaker.

19. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I was thinking it looked like a Birch bass.

20. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The guys in Slade have such bad haircuts and really ugly clothing.