Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out this Ritter!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Saw this on G Guitar's site in Connecticut. First time I've seen a blackburst burled chestnut top. Ritter seems to be making some very nice instruments. JT - didn't you say you played some at NAMM?

[​IMG]

Here's the specs on this bass:
    Buckeye Burl Top, this stunning Ritter Bass features a transparent Blackburst finish over a Buckeye Burl top, Mahogany body, Bolt-on Maple neck, Lined Ebony board, 34" scale, Ritters own Pickups with Ebony Covers, Ritter Preamp.

Nice!

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Gorgeous finish and lined ebony board, and that burl chestnut is to die for! But that body shape: some people might see Carl Thompson, but it reminds me of a spittoon, or maybe a thundermug. :p

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Ohhh...that's nice. I almost spoodged myself while looking at that... ;)

4. Hmmm. If this type of bass (funky super-high-end) gets you that, um, excited, then grab a towel and visit this website: Bunny Bass

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    bunnybass is one of my favorites. :D

My heard just about stopped when they had that pic of Salma Hayek up there too....

7. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    i was just at gguitars. heheheeheheheheheh. that bass may not be there much longer....

8. Tell me about it - how does it play? Does it look as good in person? What are your impressions?

Thanks!
    Jeff

9. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I was just kidding about buying that exact model. I didn't get to try that one out yet. The price tag just makes me not want to even want to but I do. I could never afford something like that, no way. Next time I go down there I'll try it out. In all honesty that bass didn't catch my eye first. I guess 6 strings turns me off.

I played the Classic 5 and that one played very well. Its innovative for sure. Sounds very very good! I love the way it looks. I want to get it but the price tag is too high again. So naturally I should find a used one.....

and where there is a will there is always a way to cure GAS...someone in RI might be able to help me........:rolleyes: i hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: great now look what you have done. I think I will take a trip to New Haven saturday. maybe i should leave my $$$ at home...

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i played this 7 string ...

[​IMG]

i _loved_ it. great great bass - first time i've ever played a bass that i liked even near as much as my conklins. really cool sounding - jens does his own electronics, and that finish is real gold - 18 k foil.

he had to take it back to germany to fix something on it, but hopefully he's going to give me a call soon and we may discuss me getting it. :D

11. Ritter has some of the coolest finishes and body shapes I've ever seen.

12. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    WELL u guys made me want to go see them...i'm gonna drop by gguitars. the last time i was there i almost bought a MTD Kingston 5. Maybe I should. hahahaahahaha. i hate gas.

i do not like the "out there" RITTERS. some of them are like, "ok calm down now". they look like something from outer space (some of those woods). i think gguitars has pretty basic looking ones but maybe they got new ones, actually.... if i heard correctly they do not sell many Ritters at all. They are an aquired taste (and aquired wallet!!!!!).

From the research I've done on RITTERs they do not sell well (I assume its the price tag) so there are more new ones than used ones. BUT I might aquire one soon. :eek:

goin to gguitars is like walking into a BMW dealer. here we go....

13. Those Ritters definitely appeal to me, because of the Carl Thompson vibe. They used to have a 4-string on the Gguitars site, bird's-eye maple body and neck with a washed-out reddish finish, it was really cool.
    While I was typing this, I jumped over to their site.. check out THIS one!!
    [​IMG]

14. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    ...above??? That model is at the store. I'm gonna ask to try it out.

I think that 4 string you are talking about is still there (bird's eye maple). I checked their site (I didn't even know they had a webpage!!!!!!!!) but its not listed for sale. The last time I was there was back in October, halloween actually. That's where I was first introduced to them. The price tag is way too high but if you do your research you can find a used 4 string real cheap (not cheap but a lot cheaper than the new price, their resale value goes down like the pedulla). I can tell ya, I've found only two used RITTERs so far (a 5 and a 4). Rest of them are all brand new. One store I talked to say that the RITTER is more popular (and cheaper) in Germany. In the states RITTERs don't sell thus almost no used ones. I know its because of the price tag.

They sound awesome, look awesome, play awesome, and well - maybe I'll get one....:D

15. ow mamma !

[​IMG]

16. Isn't it also that they are pretty limited in production, since Jens Ritter does most of the work? I think I read that he builds something like 15-20 basses per year.

17. No, the one at the beginning is a fretless. The one above is fretted. And, the tops are different.

Go play - let us know how they all sound/play! Tell 'em you're doing a Ritter Report for Talkbass!!

:D

Jeff

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I want this one:

19. [​IMG]

Wow! That's daring!

20. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I like 'em all....now I must save up money and pull a Pokemon. ;)