1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Check out this Wes Montgomery clip...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by hateater, May 6, 2006.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    with bass solo!

2. Thanks, the video goes well with this mornings coffee, who is the bassist? And those guts sound "mellow"!

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have no idea who the bassist is... but his solo "face" is great.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    i think the bassist is great. Very yummy tone!

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    The clip is from "The Legends of Jazz Guitar", I think vol.1. I forget who the drummer is, but it's Harold Mabern on Piano and Arthur Rhames on bass. Great DVD. Did you guys notice the mic between the bridge feet too?

6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I absolutely missed it.... he has a cool, unique sound though- maybe in part to the mic placement?

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Oh man, I love that solo... no thumb position at all ! Nice down in the pocket and still swingin'! never heard of this cat but I am going to check him out...

8. That was some great playing. Awesome find.

9. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    If that was from the "Jazz 625" broadcast, which I think it was, then the bassist is Arthur Harper (along with Harold Mabern on piano and Jimmy Lovelace on drums). That quartet was touring around Europe in the spring of 1965, and this show was released on video tape (although it seems kind of hard to find).

What great playing! I can't believe this bassist isn't better known, but then again I don't know how active he was. Even Todd Coolman omits him from the ridiculously long list of bassists at the back of "The Bass Tradition" (and there are a lot of names on that list I've never heard of).