Check out Tony Visconti's modded P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Tony Visconti (producer for David Bowie, T Rex/Mark Bolan, Thin Lizzy, Stranglers etc.) mentioned his P bass in a recent Sound on sound issue- he's used it on several Mark Bolan albums and also David Bowie's latest- Reality.

looks like a Gibson EB humbucker at the neck á la Billy Sheehan, plus 2 Jazz p/ups at the bridge á la Berry Oakley-

2. Kinda looks like the humbucker that was used in the tele basses the 70's.

Then add the jazz pickups to the bridge, kinda cool looking.

This is a 1972.

3. Cool Jazz pick-up positioning!
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Jon, where have you been man?

Put some flats on there and that would be a Reggae \Dub Machine!
  5. Hey, Sheehan likely got the idea of that pup FROM Oakley - just look at the photo of Barry in - I think - the Ludlow's Garage album.

Big fat humbucker on a P
  6. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The bass probably sounds good with either pickup soloed...but with both full on its HONK City. The wide spacing of the two would cause an overlap of the frequencies of either resulting in cancellation of the bass from either, hence- a nasal tone. I had that problem with a P-bass that had a Rick 4001 front pickup just off the fingerboard and a Musicman at the bridge. But either one sounded great!
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Hambone, Billy Sheehan cites Paul Samwell-Smith (sp?) of the Yardbirds for his inspiration for adding the EBO pickup to his original P bass.
  8. yeah- I have three pickups in a Hohner B2A and all three full on sounds very hollow- all the mids drop out. bass and treble is there, but no mids.

however, if you could run three or four outputs, á la Bootsy:D
  9. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Yeah, then you could sound like three or four bass player dudes coming from the same bass player dude, dude. (I gotta stop posting after late gigs...) :oops:
  10. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    sweet bass