Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out two of my new tunes!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The recording is slowly getting a bit better. I don't know if you can tell with my simple tunes, but my playing is much more confident since I have been seeing an instructor.

Anyways, check 'em out and tell me what you think. I dig honesty, so if you don't like 'em, please tell me why. I like to hear people's opinions so that I can improve my playing, song writing... etc etc...

http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/2newyoudontknowmewithsolor.mp3
    http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/1getreal.mp3

Thanks again!

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    They sound OK to me.

The bass playing sounds very good. :)
    The vocals seem a bit monotone on both songs. Is this just a roungh recording? :confused:
    Is that a drum machine or some sort of computer program?

Sounds like a good start.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I agree I need to work on my vox. It is a rough recording on a Tascam Porta 2 recorder. The drums are generated by a freeware PC program called Hammerhead.

Thanks again man!! :)

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey great bass playing! I enjoyed listening to them. Hammerhead gets the job done...but you should try Fruityloops. It has a lot more sounds and options. Great Job on the songs!

5. Heya Gabs, they sounded pretty good to me. You're doing at better job at home-recording than I am, that's for sure.

X

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks very much John and X. :) I will check out Fruityloops.

It's been fun recording and I am gradually getting better at that side of it. Now all I need to do is learn to play. :p

One crazy thing in my life is that the more that I do this, the more ideas I get. I have been hopping up from my seat at McDonalds, running to the counter, grabbing one of their pens, to write down on a napkin ideas that hit me suddenly.... It seems that this sort of thing doesn't usually happen when it's most convienient. :D

Thanks again guys!!

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

the link changed for "You don't know me", because I changed the vocals. If you wanna check it out, the new link is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/2new-vox-4-ydkm.mp3

Does my alternation of thrashed singing and normal, create a more interesting atmosphere? Thanks again for all the tips!! :)

8. Get yourself a micro-cassette recorder. I carry mine everywhere I go. I often get my ideas while driving, and it's as simple as whippin' out the recorder and humming your ideas into it. My kids thought I was strange, but now that I've been certified, who cares what anyone thinks!

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Cool! Good idea. :) You know, I always thought you might be certified... But I never knew what in. Thanks for clearing that up!! :p I will swing by Radio Shack tonight. You never know when that next weird idea might kick in! :D

So X, are you going to work more on your home studio? I have really dug your tunage and am wondering when we will see the album?

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As always, I applaud anyone with the guts to put up their music for critical listening, ESPECIALLY around people who play the same instrument.

So, how much Lou Reed/Velvet Underground have you been listening to, Gabe??? ;) The vocals on both tracks really have that Reed-vocal thing going on.

- On "Get Real", a suggestion - try it with distorted bass chords instead of the distorto guitar. I think it could sound more interesting. The sort-of dub bass tone you have going could be the deep bass that keeps the tune grounded underneath distorted bass chords.
    The song's beat is very cool in sort of a dopey-Lou Reed way. The optimistic, upbeat, lyrics paired with the burnt-out, "defeated", glum, feel of the song make it very interesting and appealing to me.

- "You Don't Know Me" isn't as good as the other, IMO. The lyrics, the chords, and the song structure just sound too cliche'd compared to the other track.
    The distorto guitar is used just to accent the verse lines and there's just not much there, guitarwise. I kept waiting for the guitar to "take off."
    When the guitar is used to resolve the melody of the verses, it just sounds too predictable/cliche'd.

Keep up with your writing and recording. You always seem to have nuggets of viable material.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA

I have to get this guy's stuff. I keep hearing this comparison, and keep forgetting to pickup a album or greatest hits from him. I will let you know what I think. :)

I will give that a whirl. :p Thanks for the compliment. I don't know why it kind of came out that way, but it retrospect... even if you are an optimist, that doesn't mean it's easy.

Yeah, I am a sucky guitarist. :D I keep hoping that my guitarists help me out with my tunes, but it seems like there is always another delay, or whatever... so I end up doing it myself. This is the hard one for me to fix, because I don't really know much in the way of guitar tricks and audio candy. I don't want to overpower the nifty bass riff in the back. But perhaps I could dress it up a bit. I wrote out the guitar solo, and jotted down where I made my booboos, and what I meant to do, so I should rerecord that too.

Thanks very much! I appreciate the insight, and I am going to keep playing with it.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm...

I listened to a whole bunch of Velvet Underground tunes on CD now. I can definately relate, and some of the tunes I could imagine writing. How's that for a coinkidink? I swear I have never heard them before tonight..... Unless my Dad played their records when I was a kid (which is a definate possibility).

I didn't relate as well to the one with Niko.

I really like Pale Blue Eyes (the 30sec I heard in the sample). Now check this out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/la3.mp3

It's a song I wrote for my wifey.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't doubt you for one second, Gabe. I never thought any of your material was just a cheap "Xerox" of any other artist.

Instead of listening to the Velvets, have you given Lou Reed's stuff a listen??? If you aren't familiar with it, his song "Walk on the Wild Side" is almost eerie in relation to your work :eek:

I don't means in terms of "copying." But just the deadpan vocals and overall "disinterestedly cool" feel of your latest tunes is so reminiscent of "Walk on the Wild Side." The VU stuff was heavily influenced by other talents such as John Cale, so the VU isn't the best point of reference to give to you.

I just admire anyone like you who has the mindset of - "I'm not hearing what I want, so I'll make it myself."

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks! I found a cool site with samples (very short though!) but It's amazing... I dig this dude and as of today I can start claiming influence. I am going to pickup the self titled album and Transformer. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the kind words. I am about to apply this attitude to my band and give em the boot :mad: .... Not nearly enough communication but as they keep making me wait, I keep learning to play their instruments more and more. :p

Also I appreciate your thoughts on "you don't know me" especially as I have had some cool guitar ideas yesterday and today (Hey, that was a cool band)... now I just have to practice on my guitar so that I can pull 'em off. :D

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I forgot to ask.

What is everyone's opinion on this idea? I was thinking of not having a guitar solo, but rather some cool bass grooves durring the break in my lovely angel tune.

I thought it would be cool to take the leads on that since it's a tune I wrote for my wifey. So you don't to hunt for it, the link again is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~gabu/la3.mp3

Opinions?

16. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    That is an excellent Idea. I record all of my voice lessons that way...

I was just going to get a small pen and booklet to write down my ideas... but it would be safer to record if i'm driving... i'm gonna go get one tomorrow.. :D

17. I'm guessing you meant to quote my micro-cassette recorder suggestion. (?)

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Gabu,

Nice work on getting everything posted and thank you for letting us hear it.

I just listened to "Get Real". The "rhythm" guitar playing chords sounds fine, I think it makes a nice rhythm in the background. Bass sounds good to me also. (And hey, isn't that the most important part). I'm not particularly into drum machines. I just like the organic live feel of a live drummer. I think it creates a tighter pocket. The vocals were a little monotone, but it works ... as long as there's a melody. That's the one thing I think the tune could really use, is a catchy melody. Something you can whistle.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Just checked out "You Don't Know Me."

So, do I know you?

Oh ha ha ha! I digress.

This one has a good melody, and it's even better that the bass is playing it. I might drop the guitar vol. a bit and raised the bass. The lyrics were a little cliche'-ish to me, but the vocals were strong, the guitar good, and it was relatively catchy. Not bad at all.

Bear in mind that neither of these songs are in a genre that I know much about.

20. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    oh yeas my mistake Xavier... but at least you got what i was talking about ;)