Check out what I bought yesterday ... NAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OptimusPrime, Jun 22, 2008.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    [​IMG]

I tried to get a nice picture with some nice scenery in the background but nothing really worked out.

Well, I picked this up yesterday afternoon. Walked into a music store out of town, kinda looked at it for awhile and went for it. Now I'm really broke.

What do I need to know about it? Anything I'm supposed to do? Not supposed to do? All the guy there really told me was not to turn it on without speakers hooked up to it. Other than that I know just about nothing about it. Where can I check out the serial number for a year?

I'm going to have to unplug the speakers from my Ashdown combo and set this on top. Sounded great in the store through an Ampeg 410. I didn't have a computer or anyway to check prices and anything while I was out of town. So I just kinda went for it. I looked when I got back home, checked out prices and I guess I payed a little above average for it. What should I have payed?

It has a very distinct smell. The cat an dog seem to like it. The dog licked the top and the cat tried to fit inside the back of it. Probably not good for the amp.

I also bought another iPod because for the last 6 months mine has been glitchy and freezing and taking about 13 tries to restart. Seriously.

Now I need to save for some real speakers.

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    let it warm up in standby a minute before playing

don't turn standby off without speakers connected

be a little careful when moving while tubes are still hot

be sure the impedance of your cabs matches that of the head

if the store didn't let a tech check it out toroughly, it ain't a bad idea to have it done

get an awesome speakercab for it

is that a guitarhead? does it have a distortion knob next to volume?

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    OK, I won't do any of that. Some guy at the store checked it out and said it was fine. They did replace 1 tube for some reason though. It says V-2 on it, but distortion and reverb are usually only on guitar heads right? I don't know where I'd find someone qualified to check it out. Probably have to drive to Tampa or Miami. Oh, an excuse to go down to Miami is always good. Day at the beach while someone checks out the amp.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nice score. Definately make sure you find speakers that match up, (impedence), and when you do, let us know how it sounds. Sometimes you just gotta be impulsive, otherwise you never get anything if you think about it too much. Enjoy, eventually. Oh, be carefull trying to use the speakers on a combo amp, be sure the ohms are correct.

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Well it's a guitar amp. It was in the bass section at the store yesterday and everyone said it was a bass amp? Now for the stupid question, do I need to do anything special to plug it into the Ashdown combos speakers. I don't think the cable that's there now will reach.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Here's a site to help identifying your amps vintage:
    http://users.aol.com/bluemuse/dating.html

As the others said, you need to be sure you use the corect ohm setting to match any cab you might use.
    If your combos speaker plug wont reach, you could either extend your combo's speaker cable, or try to purchase the corect female to female adaptor to simply connect another speaker cable, or purchase (or build) a female to male speaker cable to use as an extension.

7. It's a V-2, the V-4's little brother.

8. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    This is one of those amps that are multipurpose like all Hiwatt and Simms Watts Valve amps where dual purpose. The simms was called AP just ment All purpose, It had two tone stacks.
    Seems kind of limited to have an thats just good for just one thing
    I suppose. The V2 amp is a very fine bass amp indeed and within its
    rating can be quite awesome in the studio.
    Get it some serious SPL drivers and it will sound a peach, if you want to get some funky outboard eq it will deliver just about anything within its rated wattage about 60 big fat tube watts, if my memory serves me right.:hyper:

9. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Well, the cable coming out of the speakers on my Ashdown combo wouldn't reach the output of the amp. So I went up to RadioShack to get a female to female adapter and a short speaker cable. They closed at 5, I got there a 5:40. Guess I have to wait another day to play this thing. Damn.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not to be a d-head, but just make absolutely sure that the ohms rating of your combo amp match the head before you plug them into each other. Didn't see that mentioned so far, I mean what the combo's rating is, so don't want you to fry your new amp.

11. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Well the Ashdown says 4 on the back of the amp. But the independent MAG 210 says 8 on MF. And the Ampeg has a switch for 2, 4 or 8. I'm lost.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

I'd suggest measuring the speaker ohm load of your combo by using an ohm meter and taking the readings at the very tip (+) and at the sleeve (-), of the male end of the speaker plug.
    If you dont have one, your Radio shat store sells-em fairly cheap. They might even measure yours for free if you bring your combo along... (just tell-em your considering the purchase of one of their replacement speakers for the combo, and want to get a replacement with the same ohm rating)
    Then just let us know the exact test result readings and we'll then be able to help you correctly set your amps ohm switch.

I haven't been very impressed with the quality of Radio Shack (or Hosa brand) adaptors, but make sure your female to female adaptor is intended for 1/4" TS (mono) speaker usage.
    (if this adaptors connection ever fails, your amp could easily sustain very expensive damage)

I'd feel allot more comfortable recommending the adaptor labeled '1/4" Female Stereo' in this link over any I've ever seen being sold at a Radio Shack or Guitar Center.
    http://www.planetwaves.com/PAdapterDetails.aspx

13. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Hmmm. All good to know. Would you recommend going to RadioShack and buying a temp adapter to use while I wait for this other one? The Planet Waves is $7 + $6 shipping. :mad: But I don't want to screw anything up, so I'll end up ordering that one tomorrow. I can get an ohm meter to use tomorrow from a friend.

14. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    But be aware that 16 Ohm impedance speakers will measure about 10 ohms on a dc resistance meter so 8 ohms impedance will measure about 5 ohms etc.
    :hyper:

15. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Unless radio shack has started stocking a quality adaptor, (doubtful) I'd probably suggest buying a high quality speaker cable and also a replacement female speaker jack, and having someone carefully solder the female jack to one end.

16. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    This thing is a beast. Sounds incredible ... but we'll see after the "OMG, new amp" phase passes. Less than a 1/4 volume and **** in my room is shaking ... seriously. It's surprisingly punchy. The reverb adds some noise and static. The distortion is kinda interesting. There's plenty of low end because it only fuzzes the highs. You can hear clean underneath it while the highs are fuzzed to the max. I'm loving the clean tone though. There's a jack for a switch in the back. If I buy any 1 button footswitch can I switch between clean and fuzz? And it's not overdrive or distortion, it's maxed out fuzz. Kinda cool. Plenty loud for me. I don't really know how high I can crank it without damaging speakers.

It kinda farts on a low A, no other notes. And it's not even cranked. Anyone think there's a specific reason why?

17. may be that the a string is overdriving the first preamp tube. to test turn the volume on the bass down until it doesnt fart out. then turn up the volume on the amp to the same volume level (as per your percieved volume level, not numbers on the knob).

if thats the problem you could fix it byusing less hot pickups, a different resistor at the input, a different tube type or changing the cathode resistor/cap on the first stage. changing the cathode resister/cap may not work too well, and will change the sound quite a bit, but you might like the new sound (not sure what it is set as, so i dont know). ampegs tend to go for cleaner sounds so it is probably not going to help much.

18. It could be a cabinet resonance or a microphonic tube. Did you have the head sitting on top of the cab when you played?