Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check out what I just got for $25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XtraLongScale, Nov 1, 2005.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7360864341

I was just casually scrolling through the general bass category on the bay & saw this w/less than an hour to go & local pickup at that. I've been thinking about putting together another rig for gigs other than 5 string/extended range metal that don't demand as much headroom. The seller wasn't specific (yet) about what's wrong w/it but hopefully it won't be too extensive. I figure for 25 clams, It'd be worth it to find out. To anyone interested, I'll post it's status when I get it in hand.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Damn, looks like that thing has been to hell and back!

3. Yeah, it does look like it's been skipped across a parking lot a few times, yet the endcaps remain intact on the knobs. Wierd. If I can resurrect it, a powder coat for the casing will be in order.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, sound good. Those are awesome amps, for that money, even not working.

Cross yer fingers, if you can get it running again, you'll be very impressed.

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    daaaaaang.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So? I got a completely functional, fairly decent condition Peavey Mark VI for $20. :)

7. There's also a Lab Series 100w head w/a busted compressor that I could get around the same price range which I was thinking would make for a good home practice rig. I haven't looked into project basses lately, but it looks like I'm suddenly getting into project heads. :rolleyes:

8. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    That's the older horizontal rocker switch model. I've had one for at least 15 years. Mine started to fizzle out recently, so my tech replaced a resistor that had fried and it's good as new again. The only thing that's ever gone wrong with it. He said it's pretty much the only thing that ever DOES go wrong with them. If that's your (only) problem, you've got yourself a sweet deal.

9. Wish I saw that one! Only 25 miles away from me. :(

10. Thanks for the tech heads up, mrcircle. I really hope that's the case. I'm gonna take tpylons' advice & cross my fingers in the meantime. Does anyone know if the rack ears are readily available?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Contact parts@gallien.com
    OR
    call 209-234-7300 ext.120 - This is Gene Lopes, great great man. - Tell him tplyons sent you.

12. Will do, fer shur. Sorry about the typo on your handle. I often think faster than I type. Now time to agonize over cabs. :)

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, I didn't even notice the typo :)

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I bought one of those in 1986 brand new, used it HEAVILY, dropped it, abused it, and it was still ticking when I sold it in 1997. Got decent money for it too. Those things were as reliable as they come. The only time I've heard of any problems with them is when someone put ohms on the 100 watt side, which is only rated for 8 ohms (the "high" side of the amp when crossover was used).

15. Just spoke to the seller & his description of the problem seems in line with the situation mrcircle described. I'll be picking it up sometime tomorrow evening. Since I dont have the appropriate cabs (yet, give me a couple weeks though) to test it with, I'll take it straight to some local tech personnel to get the ball rolling on the comeback.

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Damn... I wanna score something like that :(

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    HARRRRRRRRTTTTTFOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDD D D D D D D D D D D D

DDDDDDD D

18. So, a week after picking it up I tested it out w/my Avatar B212 Neo & the volume was really lacking even when pinned. I took 'er to my local tech guy who replaced the resistor and wouldn't you know it, it blazed like a champ when retested though the same cab. One observation: like mentioned in previous reviews, a quality bass is a must. If I had a bass of lower quality than my mass produced Ibby BTB (Korean, and done well), I'd be fearful, tonewise. Now some questions. I don't have any 8ohm cabs for the hi channel, so I'm in the market for one. Originally I figured a traditional 210/tweeter would fit the bill, but upon further Googling & Yahooing (and searching TB), I'm reading that some players recommend a horn. I remember back in the early/mid 90's, Hartke & Trace offered hi freq cabs with 4x5 arrays. Anyone have any insight on that? Also aesthetically, I'm going to look for any local companies/shops that can do powder coating for the top, bottom & side plates. If that's not possible, is there any commercially available paint/treatment that approximates the relative durability of powder coating? One more question. I'm aware of the generous amount of heat the head emits. I plan on putting it in a six space shallow rack. Should I mount a fan in the rack? Thanks again for any of your input.

19. O.K., skip the first question. I'm just gonna do a 2X10 until I come across a brite box type cab. As for the other two questions... anyone?

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think it would be best if you started another thread on that,
    some of the guys who might answer that may not get past
    'Hartford' ... :eyebrow: ;)