Check out what I just scored!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neutrino, Oct 21, 2005.

1. neutrino

Sep 18, 2005

Here are some more specs:

- 500 watts @ 4 ohms
    - Separate Inputs for Active or Passive Instruments
    - Tri-Color Signal Indicator
    - Vacuum Tube input stage
    - 2 independent Switchable 4-Band EQ Channels
    - Tuner Out with Mute Function, Effects Loop
    - Adjustable XLR Balanced Direct Send
    - Exclusive Loudspeaker Variable Response Control
    - Adjustable Limiter
    - Footswitchable EQ Channel Selection, EQ Bypass, +6dB Gain Boost, and Mute
    - Speakon and 1/4" Speaker Output Jacks
    - 2 Space Rack Mountable
    - Dimensions: 19"W x 3 1/2"H x 11 3/4"D.
    - Weight: 24lbs

I hope this is killer!
    Now! I'm on the hunt for some cab(s)!
  2. I didn't even know those existed!? what's it sound like?
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    These were made by the guy who is now making the MarkBass line of amps. I've heard nothing but good things about the EB/MM Audiophile line of gear. You should be really pleased with your purchase.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

you might ask Dave La Rue over at BassCentral ,
    i think he might have some experience with that amp !!:D
  5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ...Just what I was thinking!

It's new; current production??

6. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Looks nice. Does it have more of a modern (SWR) sound or more of a vintage or tubey sound?
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I remember hearing quite a bit of good things about the Ernie Ball line of amps. Full review expected............ :)
  8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    He doesn't have a cab to test it on, yet. :meh:
  9. neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Yeah I'm going to be cab shopping for a little bit. I might just try to pick up some of the audiophile cabinets to go along with it, but I won't rule out Aguliar, Eden, Schroder, or Ampeg.
  10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    It would probably complement a Schroder real well. (almost anything does :p )
  11. neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    And thus begins the Cabinet Search :D
  12. Bass Central has 2 Audiophile HD-210 used cabinets for $300.
  13. No. Discontinued a few years ago.

14. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    There amps are amazingly versatile, I've had mine for 6 months now and it does almost anything you need. With the 2 independent channels and the footswitch it's easy to switch sounds for different parts of songs and it has 4 bands EQ's for each... pretty sweet if you ask me. I use it for rock, some slap but mostly fingerstyle, and it hasn't let me down yet. Plenty of power, lots of tone and tones available, they're a great buy. Plus the tube's a 12AU7 which are far cheaper and quieter than 12AX7s. Great amp.
  15. neutrino

Sep 18, 2005

You forgot to mention what cab(s) you were using.
  16. neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    I recieved this amp yesterday.

Overall it is very very nice. It came with the footswitch, which I feel is essential as it lets you access all of the functions (Mute, Boost - very cool, EQ Bypass, and CH1/CH2 switch).

The amp is very clean with just a hint of a warm touch. I would overall call the overall tone flat with just a small bump in the low mid range (at least to my ear).

The LVR feature is very very cool. I don't know of any other way to describe it - it doesn't act as an EQ setting, but adds character to the tone - i find it very useful - on a given EQ setting you can go from a piano like tone to a regae dub tone - pretty usefull.

Channel switching is awesome. I've only had single channel amps in the past and didn't know what I was missing. Obviously some of you will have your own preference, but I like it. I set Ch1 to optimize fingerstyle playing and Ch2 for some slap action.

Overall very pleased.

The only downside is - i can't turn this thing up. I live in an apartment complex so I can't piss off the neighbors too much, but it simply has too much juice for me. I play with 2 acoustic guitarists and it can sometimes be a little too much. (I think I might have bought just a wee bit too much headroom). Overall - Very Satisfied at the moment.
  17. You silly, silly boy! There is no such thing as too much headroom!!!! :D :D :D

Great looking amp though, and I have played the MarkBass amps, and they are nice.
  18. neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    Thanks, but yeah. It's way more powerful than what I need.
  19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Too much power, all the way up until your first gig! :hyper: