Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

check out what I made

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and a couple buddies of mine designed and built it from scratch for a class we took this semester. Output is about 25 watts. Sounds pretty bitchin', although it's a little bit noisier than I'd like.

Questions, comments, orders?:D

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll take one. It looks cool.

-Mike

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Wow! That thing looks sweet! I like the Blue light...
    When are you posting the sound clips :D .
    hmmmm?

4. Oh look! It's a tube driven hot plate! :D

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The LED is even cooler in person. I added a little circuit that makes it fade in and out ala the sleep light on Apple computers. It fades in and out when it's on standby, and stays on the whole time when you flip the standby switch.

As far as sound clips, one of the other dudes that worked on it is recording a full length album with his band right now. He said he's gonna try to use our amp on some of the stuff, but we'll have to see.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    lol. It almost was. We didn't get it working until a couple days before it was due. We had joked all semester that if we didn't get it working at least we could just put a frying pan over the tubes and tell everyone it's a hot plate.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I like it. It's got a very cool retro vibe thing happening. Congrats.

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    If the price was right, i would definatly consider one. Seriously.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Thanks for the interest, but right now there aren't any plans to start selling this thing. If we did want to sell it there's a good bit of work to be done before I could feel good about charging money for it.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is he a playing guitar or bass through it?

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    ah. forgot to mention it's a guitar amp. We designed it as a guitar amp since the other two guys are guitar players, but I can imagine it sounding pretty good as a bass amp. It uses your classic Fender tone stack, and is rather bass heavy. I'll have to play some bass through it when i get back to school in January.

12. Congrats! I can't even imagine myself putting something together like this. BTW, did you have options along the way that would give you different tone options? Or was the plan just to put it together and see/hear what comes out of it.

Hey, is this the start of the NEXT wave of high-end amps making? :) Give us TBers first shot at getting 'em, okay?

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Well we designed it from scratch. We had to learn all about how tubes work and do all sorts of load line analysis and come up with our own schematics. We knew basically what type of sound we were gonna get, but couldn't tell exactly until we actually built it.

If I were to make another one there are definitely some things I'd go back and change, but overall it turned out pretty well for a first project.