1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check, Re-Check, Check Again!!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DigthemLows, Dec 8, 2006.

1. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Some of you may be following my build thread here
    and know that I'm doing fanned frets for my first build. I have done and redone the math and template 5 or 6 times since I first started my design. I've been using FretFind 2D and have been taking the chart it makes and marking my template at the edges of the fret board(Bad!!!) Yesterday I decided to make one last template and realized the measurements FretFind gives is where the string hits the fret (Duh!) and I had been marking the edge of the fingerboard. With the distance from the string to the outside of the fretboard in there, my frets would have been way off! So, now after checking, rechecking, then checking 5 more times, I believe my fret saw will see some action tomorrow..........

2. It would still work. It just wouldn't be the exact scale lengths you planned. Since the fret placement is a geometric function, you can resize it as desired and still be in tune. My fanned 4-string is 33-35 scale at the edges, and not where the strings actually are. Works just fine.

But good reminder in general!

3. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Since I cut the fretboard to match the scale length though, it would have been off. I know the math would have worked, but the design would have been thrown. Plus the 37" B puts the bridge real close to the edge so I don't want to be off! This thing has been such a learning process! This far along though, I'm sure I'll do another.........Thinking a tele shaped semi-hollow with a Darkstar pickup?.................that's for a spring project though.........I still have this one to screw up!

4. Boomer397

Boomer397

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm confused. What do you mean where the string hits the fret?
    Isn't that where the fret is in the first place? Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, I'm pretty inexperienced at all of this but I'm going to make an attempt at building a bass in the near future.

Thanks

5. DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Measuring from either the very outside edge of the fingerboard or the 1/8" in where the "B" string is. It really wasn't a huge difference, but with fanned frets it did make a difference in placement over the length of the board.