Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check these basses out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Check out these Jay Turser basses out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anybody know anything about these? Have you played one?

2. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    Jay Turser is kind of a low quality brand. A Gibson EB-2 would cure that GAS you have.

They look nice, but there's no telling how they play.

3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Yea, I could tell you a thing or two about them. I happen to play these basses all day long. I work for Jay Truser as a guitar tech.

The first two pictured is one of our newest models...That is a JTB-3N & JTB-3TS.
    Actually quite nice....What I really like about it is that it has a stationary bridge. Neck is a little smaller( kinda like a beatle bass). They sound very similar to a Hofner Club bass.

The third & forth are JTB-134N &JTB-134TS.
    Again very cool sounding basses. These have a floating bridge ...so changing strings will be a slight issue for intonation since the bridge will move. The neck is somewhat similar to a jazz taper. Again very similar to a Hofner bass.

Almost forgot to mention...these basses are Medium scale...32".

Both basses are light weight and balance very well.
    Yes...Jay Turser's are lower priced instruments...Built in china, then shipped to our warehouse in N.Y. to be checked, set up w/new D'addrio strings, then sent out.
    Every guitar & bass gets a full set-up...{fret's redressed(if needed) & polished, string change, Adjust neck, bridge,action set low(2/32"-3/32"), intonation}..We also check for finish flaws.
    Not many companies make sure that their instruments are perfect from the warehouse.
    How many times do you go to Sam Ash, or GC and see strings 2 feet from the fingerboard?
    Can you say that about any other brand's that are in the same price range. These basses will compare to Epiphone, Ibanez etc....

I own a few high end basses...(Ken Smith, Nordstrands), I enjoy playing the turser's for what they are.

Hope's that helps.
    Feel free to ask me anything.

Rob

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Jay Tursers are really great stuff for the price. I played a Semi-Hollow doublecut guitar with 13 flats on guitar in a rock band, and it sounded amazing. I wish I still had that thing. Wanna hook me up with a deal, mr, Dragonbass? It's the JT-134DC...

5. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Trevorus: PM me....

The hollow bodies are the coolest things we have.
    However...We just won an award from Guitar Player Mag for Ultimate value on a electric guitar JT-200 {Les Paul style guitar}, and were presented it at summer NAMM.

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I've played two Turser guitars in my life. One of them had fretting so bad that it could have cut my hand. The other had a neck so warped right out of the box that it couldn't be fixed. Unless something has drastically changed in the past year I'm going to have to give a thumbs down.

7. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    I have heard great things about the Turser Beatle bass from someone who owns it along with many high end basses. I would love to hear more about the Turser hollows; Beatle bass and the ones shown in this thread. :hyper: :help:

8. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I have a Jay Turser acoustic/electric guitar and really like it. It plays like a Telecaster.
    A friend of mine is a full-time pro and raves about his JT guitars.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    just like any other instrument, you have to play them to find the right one. Or even a good one. Happens to a lot of mass produced instruments. I have met plenty of gibsons I didn't like, and not a lot of jay tursers. Just my experience that everyone has a bad apple here and there, or a bad day in the factory. A few from the same batch could easily get shipped to the same place. I mean, not EVERYONE in that place is a perfect worker, either.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I used to work at Maggio Music in Brooklyn NY that is a dealer & he has alot in stock.

Like DragonBass said. they're great instruments for the money. I'm very tempted to buy a Les Paul style guitar. They have a a nice Natural one & IIRC a nice trans green one. Mmmmm

I owned one of the StingRay clones. I put a BassLine p/u (passive) & it rocked. I liked it better then most Ray's I've played/owned.

11. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Hello all; my first post here so I thought I'd talk about the Turser Beatle. :)

I bought mine about a year ago and really haven't been interested in playing anything else since. My first bass was a Sears Silvertone Violin Bass (back in the 70s), so I guess this is full-circle for me.

On another board I was told to expect some bad solder joints, and mine didn't have the bridge pickup working. I hardly noticed it though, being too amazed by the action and the feel of the thing. Lightweight (neck heavy but most of us know how to deal with that), nice action and well...a vibe to it. It didn't make me want to go instantly out and play Beatles tunes either. It just has a real calm, relaxing feel to it, and the short scale and lightweight only make you want to play it more.

It appears on just about every recording I've made in the past year and I'm convinced that even if I were to do harder type rock pieces, the Beatle would be right there with me.

I have Rotosound flatwounds on it (RS77s) but I'm going to get the RS77m's next time. The scale is just a little over 30" so there was a bit of thread that went down past the nut.

All in all, if I were still playing onstage, this would be my first choice bass, no matter what sort of music it was.

Previous instruments (after the Silvertone):
    Dan Armstrong Lucy Lucite (righty, converted lefty) traded
    Rickenbacker 4001 Stereo (lefty) stolen
    Essex 5-string
    Squier P-Bass Special (another overlooked, great bass)

Anyhow, thanks for listening!

Take care.