Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check this baby out :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shomy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah seen em before, its a pretty cheap brand.

2. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I havn't really seen any reputable brands that make them. I played one at a store around here a while ago, it jsut sounded real muddy.

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    How does the tunning work on one of those?

Pretty funky! :smug:

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Usual tuning on a 12 is eeE aaA ddD ggG, where the uppercase letter is the normal bass guitar string in standard tuning, and the lowercase letters are the thinner strings, both tuned an octave above the thick string. Some people purposely tune the pair of octave strings slightly off from each other to achieve a sort of natural chorusing effect.

Dean makes a cheap 12 string that is very good for the money. When I bought mine, the stock very heavy gauge strings had put too much tension on the neck, creating a bow that made it very tough to play. Replaced them with the thinnest EADG tuning roundwounds I could buy, and it plays wonderfully now. Note I didn't buy a "12 string set," I bought a 4 string set of ridiculously thin Rotosounds and two sets of crazy thin piccolo bass strings.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are several very reputable manufacturers who make them.

Hamer USA, Chandler, Warrior, Warwick, and Yamaha, to name a few.

And for those on a budget, there is the Hamer import, Dean, and MusicVox.

There are a lot of other, smaller companies that make them too.

I have an import Hamer, and it is a very good sounding 12 string for the price.

Here is me playing mine on a gig a few months ago.

[​IMG]

6. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004

Showoff :p :D

7. embellisher

:D

8. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    I love it. Nice bass. I have an earlier "ugly" one, that has 27 frets (!).

Pots are GARBAGE, replace them immediately. Other than that, it's a highly enjoyable, great-sounding instrument.

Despite the differing brand names, they're all made in Korea at the same factory. You can even buy this as a Hamer (their "import" model), but you'll pay more.

More info at 12stringbass.net

9. There's a guy on the Hamer Fan Club site who is selling a short-scale Hamer USA 12 string for ~$1,700 with OHSC.

10. I have an 8 string, never tried a 12 other than a Hamer...I can only imagine the neck is SCREAMING obscenities under all that tension... :smug: I think the Musicvox ones are so funky looking that they're cool.

Doug Pinnick from King's X and the gent from Big Wreck play the 12 prominently. I love the sound. You can tune the pairings to chords. Sounds TOTALLY thick. Especially with fuzz.

11. embellisher

I got my Hamer for $299 new.:spit::D

12. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    Awesome. That's what I paid for mine. Although I'm sure they were manufactured side-by-side, I'd rather have the Hamer name on the headstock, for sure.

The only thing that's nice about my "ugly" Galveston (honey color) is the 27 frets (the Ebay ad for the newer bodystyle lists 27, but it's wrong), and the upper horn is really long, which minimizes neck dive. Still, I would have prefered the Hamer name on the headstock...and I'd rather have it in black, of course. :bassist:

13. Slightly OT - but are they played with fingers or pick?

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Run away, run for your life. Those are horrible. The Dean and Hamer 12vers are much better.

Though, it's got a more conventional body style, so maybe the neck-dive isn't so bad. They used to look like a Thumb, and the neck-dive with that huge headstock was ridiculous.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Either. Typically, when the high strings are above the low strings (as on this one), it's for pick playing -- you want the high strings to sound before the low ones, it sounds more coherent that way. People that play 8s and 12s fingerstyle tend to get them built with the high strings below the low ones.

16. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    holy cow are you suppost to use your fingers or use a pick?

17. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    how come nobody has mentioned how unbelievably unfun it would be to restring one of those?

18. _Unregistered_

_Unregistered_

Nov 3, 2004
    I prefer to play with a pic. With an agate pick, it just sounds F'in silly (although I favor the triangle "Dorito"-style Fender picks - lets you really dig in with that sharp point).

It's not easy, and certainly not for everyone (a lot of people just can't master it) but I LOVE playing my 12-ver. What a sound!

If you're not hip to King's X, look for some:

Faith Hope Love
    Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
    King's X (their fourth)

All those albums highlight the 12-ver very nicely, and dUg's work (writing and singing) is very tasty.

19. Thanks for taking the time to clarify on playing style.

Did anyone else notice the string spacing on that Galveston?! Give me a slotting file and I could do a better job.

It is much easier if you change the strings one at a time, bringing each to pitch before continuing. Changing them all and then tuning up would admittedly be a huge nightmare.