Check this..Hit the Jackpot!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommixx, Aug 23, 2004.

1. I was talking to another TBer the other day about how lucky I was to have gotten some "old stock new" 12AX7's from Tom Dowd before he passed away...anyway, yesterday I was having lunch with a friend and we started talking about tubes again and I remembered my dad, who used to own a large music store, (we bought it in 76' but it had been in existence since the 20's) used to have a BUNCH of old tube boxes in a warehouse...........guess what? I called him tonight....and.....HE STILL HAS THEM!!!!!!!!!!! 20, 30, 40, 50 year old tubes new in the boxes!!! OMG, I could not believe it when he told me they are still in storage in the warehouse ( he is retired now but is still active in real estate).

I told him the last time I remembered seeing the shelves there were hundreds of them and he said he thinks there are at least 4,000 of them!!!!!! To make things even more interesting he said I can have em! He will probably change his mind now that I actually want them!! LOL!

12AX7, 12AT7, 12BH7, 6L6, 6550, 6560, they are all there!! GE, RCA, etc etc you name it I think he has it! He is in Nags Head, NC right now on vacation and will be back on Friday, I have threatened to break into the building if he doesn't hurry up so I can see what he has got in there. I can hardly wait! Does any body have any idea what some of these things could be worth? Like I said, they are at least 30 years old but new in the box! I can't wait to stick a few in some of the toys I have just to see what I've got....... :D

2. I hate you! ;) That could be the sweetest find ever. Congrats!
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    dude.......................once you get em make a list available to us before you e-bay em...........pretty please?
    you could probably finance all your GAS just from us :D
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i concur with the above post.
  5. that's nice, very nice, lucky bastard
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Yeah, if you could take the time, maybe make a small text file list of what you have, so that some of us can try to buy 'em off of you. I know I'd be interested in picking up some preamp tubes for my Eden.
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Do you think a 30 + year old tube will work like if it was made 2 weeks ago?

P.S. I don´t know very much about vacuum tubes, so I´m asking.
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Let me know what you have, I have needs;)
  9. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    They definitely need to be made available (for a price) to the TalkBass family.
  10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    must have nos GE 6550's!!!!!

Let me know what you want for em.

My SVT is HUNGRY. (I can't tell her no.) :)
  11. It all depends on what is hot with the "audiophiles" and musicians. Once you get the tubes, check and see what they are going for on ebay and at the various tube stores. BTW, just to let you know, as someone who has dabbled a bit in NOS tubes, it can take up a lot of your time learning about, acquiring and testing tubes. It's a hobby unto itself, kind of fun, but it will still drive you crazy. You've been warned. :D

Unless it defective to begin with, exposed to the elements or rough handling. For the last year my SWR S220 has been running a 45 year old tube ('59 Sylvania 5751). Sounds great.
  12. Thanks guys...Talked to my old man again today and he really got excited when I told him I saw some USED tubes from the 50's and 60's going for $600. He laughed and said the ones he has are new in the box never been used and some of em are from the 20's and 30's...I about had a heart attack!!!! ALL of them are from the 20's through the 70's so he has nothing that is less than 30 plus years old!! And they are ALL NEW!!

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This really blows Munji's "Pending Announcement" out of the water, eh?

And of course, I would be interested in seeing that list, if it ever comes to be...
  14. Find out what the common tubes are for guitar and bass amps. There are a lot of tubes out there that are very common and don't get much interest. I recently sold 4 EL34s on ebay for $20. No profit inthat. And a lot of them are only used in old TVs and Ham radio and lofi and non-audio equipment. But you could probably wholesale those to an NOS dealer.

I wish . . . .

Nice score.

Oh, and get a tube tester. It'll pay for itself after a couple of uses. And cozy up to somebody who knows about toobes. They will be a priceless resource.
  15. Tom,
    I would start planning you're retirement if I were you..... :hyper:
    I would love to get a crack at some of the NOS (new old stock) tubes.
    I currently have a couple of Telefunken 12ax7 black smooth plates in my Demeter 201s and would love to get a hold of somemore.
    I'm also looking for Bugle Boys, GE, and a few others. Let me know if you want to part with any once you take an inventory. How great for you! Congradulations. I just wonder how many forgotten stock piles are still around. :meh:
  16. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    So...exactly where in Virginia is this...? :ninja:

HA HA, just kidding man.
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Wow, what an amazing find. I hope you are able to get what they are worth for every single one man!
  18. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I NEED, not want but NEED, Philco 5751's. Thanks.