1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Check This Kid Out!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by musicman5string, Apr 27, 2006.

1. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Some kid playing the Dragonetti Concerto; I found it on youtube.

He looks like he's 14 but the playing is fantastic imo.

2. Pretty good

3. Not bad, especially at such a young age. But that last note....really needed fixing. Otherwise, I wish he had shaped the notes a little more, rather than play them all short and staccatto. Really, pretty impressive performance overall.

4. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I don't know how anyone can play with a ceiling fan spinning above. Can't he hear the awful leslie-speaker effect it puts on the sound?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That kid sounded pretty good, but did anyone else check out the Michael Manring clip on the same page where he's retuning his slab all over the place to create new harmonies while soloing above? Pretty impressive.:eek:

6. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I watched that too; at first I was like "wow, he's insane". Then, I listened purely for the tune, which just didn't do it for me; the tune didn't justify the technique, and the technique was the focal point, which I'm not into.

7. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    Man there's some bad videos on that list! Check out the Return to Forever video for Lenny White. Bunch of great Marcus Miller and Jaco videos I'd never seen.

8. MeyerBrown

MeyerBrown

Aug 9, 2005
    eeehhh...that was okay. His intonation was rerally whack and to tell you the truth, that should be played WAY faster. Dont get me wrong a lot of work went into what he just did, but theres ALOT that needs to be done.

9. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Sure, but I'm assuming he's pretty young, and for his age I give him props.
    Lord knows I couldn't do that in my teens.

10. That is a little to critical. I don't know about "way faster" maybe 10-20BPMs faster. I'd say the Dragonetti goes between 130 and 150. But yea alot of work needs to be done. He's pretty good though for the age he looks.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I wasn't really commenting on the composition - to me it looked like the guy was just kinda screwing around at a NAMM booth...I just thought the technique was way impressive. :)

12. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I actually went straight to that clip. I've heard Manring's recordings before and have always sort of thought "Huh--how the heck is he doing that? I don't think MY bass makes those harmonics" and this clip pretty well answered the question. The choreography was pretty fascinating, I thought, if a bit distracting; but mainly my question is, how would one notate that in order to publish it or pass it on without needing a video to do so? I think it could be done. (So what's the deal--he has Hipshot detuners on each peg plus some version of the same at the bridge for each string?; he's clearly a pretty bright guy.)

But part of me was thinking "why doesn't he just give in and play a Rhodes?" :bag: (and before I get flamed, this is coming from a guy who tries to play "Portrait of Tracy" on a double bass with Velvet Animas, unamplified...)

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'd like to see that! I've tried the same thing, without much success.

14. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i don't think that technique is so much the focal point with michael manring. more like the other way around, the technique is a result of him finding ways to express himself on his chosen instrument.

while you are entitled to your opinion i think one should be careful with any judgement about a musician's intention. just because you didn't like the tune and on first view focussed on the technique alone doesn't mean that this will be everyone's reaction.

what if someone doesn't like chopin, paganini, steve vai, etc... all the technical demands of their respective music suddenly aren't "justified"? to make the point clear: i don't think anything in music has to be "justified".

the reaction to a certain piece of music very likely says more about the listener than about the artist/performer/composer.

now, i don't wan't to derail the thread, but i think this was worth saying.

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I'm loving the hideous number of links to the right with performances by Jaco, Stanley, Vic, etc. This is the first youtube link I've clicked where I didn't feel like I'd lost a couple of minutes of my life. Thanks!

The Dragonetti performance sounded like the guy was attempting a piece beyond his ability, but seein' as to how he's young and all, he'll probably do great things with that instrument later on. Lord knows, I can't play a DB that well now, much less when I was his age.

16. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    thanks.
    I thought the tune was boring.

17. I have one question. Are you supposed to start the 16th note run at the verry beggining (measure 13) and in the middle (measure 80) slow then get faster? if so I have been playing it wrong the whole time.

Edit: I'm talking about the Dragonetti BTW.

18. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    He was in the section with me at All-State (TX) and believe me, he's not 14. He is 18 and he is about 6'5"-6'6". Far from 14.

19. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    That was pretty bad. Intonation wasn't there. Tempo fluctuated a lot. His left hand fingers are always flat, just trying to mash the notes down. Poor technique... poor playing.... I'm not impressed.

20. It's your own choice really. Some people like to play it at tempo from the start, others speed up as they go. Either way, you should be playing at tempo by the time you get to the open G and start working your way back up. Gary Karr plays it in tempo, and Rabbath starts slowly and works his way up (or so I think....it's been a while since I listened to his recording).

By the way, I like Gary's recording much better (not much of a Rabbath fan), and I also play it in tempo. If you want Rabbath's I might be able to get it to you....I forgot I had it.