Check this one out boys...

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mxr255, May 26, 2004.

1. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    So Jerry (hughindigo) and I were installing a new endpin in a Suzuki Laminate bass owned by a local school district. We found what seems to be a small broom handle attached to the top of the pin. We have pulled all sorts of strange things out of basses at our shop (fast food wrappers, candy, dead rodents, etc...), but this one had to be strategically placed. The only way it could found its way in is through the lower eye of the F-Hole. We got a good laugh out of this one and wanted to share it with y'all. Any ideas as to why someone would have done this? Has anyone seen something like this before? Thanks guys.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Perhaps it's a tool for clearing a path through a crowded subway train.
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    maybe there were afraid that the pin would fall out :confused:

4. maybe the endpin got stuck in and they tried to stick it out with the broomhandle? wow crazy ppl

5. The end pin was/is fully functional (aside from not being properly fit to the bass). The end of the rod was peened over and will not allow the rod to slip out of the collar. The inside end of the rod was just inserted into the white "dowel thiny." We were curious if this was some sort of homespun "tone enhancer." I have seen many homemade devices on the inside of violins, but never in basses. It was funny as hell to look in through the f holes and see it there.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    maybe a Tibetan Shiva symbol ? ;-)
  7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    You're all wrong. It actually an abandoned statue that japanese wood gremlins used to worship. It has since been abandoned after the Bridge Trolls scared them away. They actually called it a....

Yuk yuk yuk. *cough* :bag:
  8. dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Speaking of end pins, I am not sure if mine is well fitted or not. It is slanted slightly towards the front kind of like this: \ but not that severe. I have had conflicting opinions on if it should be fixed or not, reputable opinions too.
  9. From your second picture, it looks like it would fit through the end-pin-block hole, so perhaps someone put it on the end of the end-pin to (1) stop it from falling out (2) enhance the tone (!!!!) (3) provide a topic of conversation on various bass-related BBSs for people who have nothing better to do than speculate :) - you must have heard of people who bury really odd items in foundations (bridges/walls/buildings) just to fool the archæologists of the future…

- Wil
  10. The broom handle definetly wouldn't fit through the endpin hole... it was way too big.
  11. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA

maybe the player was trying to get a "cleaner" sound.......get it.....
  12. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    So the other day, Tyler, one of MXR's co-workers, calls me to see what endpins I have in stock. I said "Well we've got some of those new endpins with the long wooden dowel that looks like a broom handle attached to the end of the rod". :D :bag:
  13. Now that's the last straw. Try to get a handle on it before we whisk you away.
  14. That was a sweeping indictment!

15. Maybe it was the murder weapon......
  16. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA

I was thinking that maybe the teacher wanted him to use nice big sweeping bow strokes...
  17. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    All this talk of endpin design ... I thought it might be a good idea to bump this three-year-old thread for a laugh!
  18. bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    It's quite interesting.... LOL!
  19. Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    ... A microphone mount? I've heard of endpin mounted mics. Maybe the dowel was there to get the mic to a "good" sounding spot in the bass?